B36 Tórshavn beat IBV Vestmannaeyar and qualify for the second qualifying round of the UEFA Cup.

July 28, 2005: UEFA Cup, B36 Tórshavn - IBV Vestmannaeyar, second leg:

B36 Tórshavn - ÍBV Vestmannaeyar (Iceland) 2-1 (1-1)
1-0 Alllan Mørkøre 1’
1-1 Ian Davids Jeffs 42’
2-1 Bergur Midjord 68’

B36 Tórshavn made perfect start to the match when they made Vestmannaeyar pay for some sloppy defending in the first minute. Goal scorer was veteran Allan Mørkøre.

The visitors didn’t have much to offer and B36 dominated for the most of the first half, although they didn’t create many scoring opportunities.

Vestmannaeyar didn’t create any chances and looked very passive throughout the half. But just 4 minutes before the half time whistle, Vestmannaeyar were awarded a freekick just outside the penalty area, after a Vestmannaeyar-player was brought down, when he was about to break through B36’s defence. Ian David Jeffs curled the freekick into the top left corner: 1-1 at halftime!

B36 looked the more dangerous team in the second half, and should have made it 2-1 some 10 minutes into the second half when 3 B36 players countered, but made a meal of he great opportunity with too many passes instead of shooting at goal.

But 23 minutes into the second half B36 got the all decisive goal. Mikkjal Thomason take freekick on the left hand side and in front of goal Bergur Midjord touched the ball with a long toe and scored.

Seven minutes after the goal, the Icelandic team had goal scorer Jeffs sent off for hitting Allan Mørkøre and 6 minutes from time Vestmannaeyar were down to 9 men, when Petur Sigurdsson was shown the red card after an off the ball incident.

B36 was in total control for the entire second half and goalkeeper Jákup Mikkelsen never had to make a save. B36 on the other hand produced 3 or 4 excellent opportunities in the other end, but they all went begging. That didn’t matter today, as 2-1 was enough for B36, but against better opposition in the next round, they must make the most of those chances, because their opponents surely will…

This was only the second time a Faroese club has qualified for a second round in European soccer, but when HB Tórshavn progressed in 1993, it was because they were awarded a 3-0 win by UEFA, after their opponents never showed up in the Faroe Islands. HB had lost the first leg 1-0. Therefore B36 is the first club to actually qualify by playing.

July 28, 2005: UEFA Cup, Liepajas Metalurgs - NSÍ Runavík, second leg:

NSÍ Runavík played their second leg against Liepajas Metalurgs in Lithuania today and they lost 3-0. On aggregate, NSÍ lost 6-0.

Liepajas Metalurgs (Lithuania) - NSÍ Runavík - 3-0 (2-0)
1-0 Dobrecov 5’
2-0 Dobrecov 37’
3-0 Klava 83’

Related links:
IBV Vestmannaeyar - B36 & Metalurgs - NSÍ, UEFA Cup, 1st leg
HB Tórshavn to face Liverpool FC in the Champions League
HB Tórshavn meet FBK Kaunas in the Champions League
HB Tórshavn vs. FBK Kaunas, Champions League, 1st leg
FBK Kaunas vs. HB Tórshavn, Champions League, 2nd leg
Skála vs. Tampere United, Inter Toto Cup, 1st & 2nd leg

| Faroese Soccer |
| Home of SoccerandEquipment |

Share this page: