July 21 & September 18, 2013:
Round 16 of the premier division "Effodeildin":

HB Tórshavn – KÍ Klaksvík 3-0 (1-0)
1-0 Kristin R. Mourisen
2-0 Johan Troest Davidsen
3-0 Fróði Benjaminsen

Vacation-mode would be the obvious headline for the match which often is the case for the first match after the summer-break.

KÍ was the better team in the opening quarter of an hour, and Heðin á Lakjuni’s header from a free kick only needed power to beat HB goalkeeper Teitur Gestsson. Few minutes later, a KÍ player tried to sneak a shot into the corner instead of going for power, but it was just over the goal.

HB then took over for the next 10 minutes and had a few finishing attempt, the closest from Christian R. Mouritsen who hit the side-netting from a flat corner.

But for long periods the game was in turmoil, and it almost had to be from at mistake that the deadlock was broken after 37 minutes when KÍ carelessly gave away the ball just outside HB's penalty area and HB countered, and where first Fró
ði Benjaminsen, Bárður Olsen and Pál Mohr Joensen combined to create space for Kristin R. Mouritsen who surged forward, combined with Andrew av Fløtum who brilliantly lifted the ball over KÍ's defence to play Mouritsen clear to lob over KÍ goalkeeper Meinhardt Joensen to give HB the lead.

KÍ had their chances to equalize in the second half where the best chance fell to Hjallgrím Elttør who, a bit to the right, had the goal at his mercy, but his finish clipped the root of the near post. A couple of other shots could be noted as decent opportunities for KÍ.

But it was HB who dominated most of the second half and only an outstanding reflex save from Joensen denied Andrew av Fløtum from doubling HB’s lead from the edge of the goal area.

However, midway through the second half, HB decided the match with two goals in quick succession, both coming from Christian R. Mouritsen’s powerful in-swinging corners which leave goalkeeper and defenders little time to react. The first was headed in by central defender Johan Troest Davidsen and the second from midfielder and captain Fróði Benjaminsen.

HB had several other opportunities in the last 10 minutes of the game, but they were all squandered.

This was HB’s eight clean sheet of the season. KÍ haven’t won a match since 28 April.

ÍF Fuglafjørður - TB Tvøroyri 4-3 (1-0)
1-0 Øssur Dalbúð
2-0 Ari Ellingsgaard
2-1 Ndende Adama Guéye
2-2 Ragnar Tausen
3-2 Clayton Soares
4-2 Clayton Soares
4-3 Óli Johannesen

When Ari Ellingsgaard made it 2-0 in the first minute of the second half after Øssur Dalbúð’s goal on the half-hour, it looked like a routine-win for ÍF, But with two goals in two minutes on the hour-mark from first Ndende and then Ragnar Tausen, TB were suddenly level again.

After TB had dominated during the next minutes, ÍF countered and regained the lead when Clayton Soares on 80 minutes tucked in a rebound from the goalkeeper.  The Brazilian scored again seven minutes later, but TB pulled a goal back with a spectacular volley from veteran Óli Johannesen to set up a grand stand finish, but ÍF managed to hold on to the three points.

TB, who at one stage surprisingly looked to be out of the relegation battle are suddenly in the thick of it again as they are just one point ahead of AB Argir under the drop line.

AB Argir - B36 Tórshavn 3-2 (1-2)
0-1 Lukasz Cieslewicz
0-2 Jákup á Borg (pen)
1-2 Dion Splidt
2-2 Karstin Højgaard
3-2 Dion Splidt

With 13 points from a possible 15 in the last five games, AB Argir have climed to just within one point of TB Tvøroyri and Víkingur, and suddenly AB, who looked like certain to be relegated, look like favourites to stay in the top flight rather than TB.

However,  AB did it the hard way today, going behind 2-0 after 20 minutes on Jákup á Borg's penalty; 10 minutes after Polish forward Lukasz Cieslewicz netted from a corner to make it 1-0 to the visitors.

But AB started their comeback on the stroke of half-time through Dion Splidt and restored parity with a quarter of an hour remaining through 19-year old Karstin Højgaard who have score four goals in AB’s last four matches. And in total, Højgaard had only played 110 minutes in the top division before today’s match where he came on shortly before he equalized. 

With five minutes remaining, AB were reduced to 10 men as Sorin Anghel was dismissed for a second bookable offence, but B36 suffered the same faith a few minutes later, but it was much more severe as it was their goalkeeper Tórður Thomsen who was sent off for handling outside the penalty area and at the same time bringing down Højgaard, who was clear on goal.

Outfield player Súni Olsen, who usually scores on free kicks for B36, was chosen to replace Thomsen, and his first action as a goalkeeper was to pick the ball out of the net as Splidt scored directly from the free kick to snatch a late and dramatic winner for AB. – Now Olsen knows how it is to be on the receiving end!

Surely, AB cannot go down now, can they…?

September 18 (Postponed from 21 July because EB/Streymur and Víkingur were occupied with European football)

EB/Streymur - NSÍ Runavík 5-1 (1-1)
1-0 Niels Pauli Danielsen
1-1 Klæmint Olsen (pen)
2-1 Gunnar Zachariasen
3-1 Niels Pauli Danielsen
4-1 Levi Hanssen
5-1 Leif Niclasen

Scoring five goals in their last two matches against strong opposition, and 14 goals in their last three matches, EB/Streymur have set their sight on the second place in the table, currently occupied by ÍF Fuglafjørður who again trail HB Tórshavn by five points.

EB/Streymur opened the scoring after eight minutes when Niels Pauli Danielsen headed home from Hans Pauli Samuelsen’s cross, but the visitors drew level just before the break with a penalty from Klæmint Olsen.

However, EB/Streymur quickly restored their lead when Gunnar Zachariasen fired in at the far post from Samuelsen’s corner in the 50th minute.

The game seemed decided ten minutes later when Danielsen was played clear to score his second goal of the evening.

Levi Hanssen then made it 4-1 seven minutes later following a corner before Leif Niclasen in the closing stages sealed the 5-1 win.

07 Vestur - Víkingur 0-1 (0-0)
0-1 Finnur Justinussen

07 Vestur had the best opportunity in the first half when Jákup Gardar Joensen’s volley smashed against the post from a corner.

Few scoring opportunities were created at either end, but when Víkingur after 78 minutes were reduced to ten men after Atli Gregersen’s second yellow card, they finally got their act together three minutes later when Kaj Leo í Bartalsstovu set up Finnur Justinussen to score the winning goal.

Faroe Islands Football | Fixtures/Results | Table | Top Scorers