April 09, 2009: The Cup Competition, Round 1:

HB Tórshavn – NSÍ Runavík 2-1 (1-1)
1-0 Fróði Benjaminsen
1-1 Karoly Potemkin
2-1 Andrew av Fløtum

A gift from NSÍ goalkeeper Meinhardt Joensen in the 2nd half when he fumbled a weak long range effort from Andrew av Fløtum saw HB go through to the quarter finals.

But it was NSÍ who were closer to taking the lead after about 10 minutes. First, a last moment tackle from the HB defender prevented the NSÍ forward getting his shot in, and a few moments later Bogi Løkin’s shot from 30-35 metres hit the corner of the woodwork.

But a few minutes later HB took the lead when a low cross from the left found Fróði Benjaminsen in front of goal for a relatively easy tap in.

But NSÍ levelled the match approximately halfway through the first half. Hungarian Karoly Potemkin used his strength and protected the ball well before he turned and fired a shot straight into the chest of the goalkeeper – typically, one is tempted to say, as Potemkin often needs three opportunities to make it count . However, the rebound fell to a completely clear NSÍ player (Jústinus R. Hansen or Bogi Løkin?), but also he shot straight at the goalkeeper, who must also be credited for a fabulous save. But unfortunately for him, the ball rebounded to Potemkin again who this time found the back of the net.

Not much happened in front of either goal for the remainder of the half. – The exception was a late Hans á Lag header from a corner that went close for HB.

About 10 minutes into the second half, NSÍ goalkeeper Meinhardt Joensen made a blunder that ultimately cost NSÍ the match. Andrew av Fløtum tried from long range, but his high shot lacked power. But somehow the goalkeeper let the ball slip through his fingers as he was about to collect the ball over his head.

A few minutes later, av Fløtum tried to lob the keeper from 25 metres, but this time the embarrassed goalkeeper was saved by the crossbar.

The last half an hour was mostly played on HB’s half and NSÍ did create a couple of great chances to level the match.

Potemkin again used his strength to hold off the defender to set up Bogi Løkin, but Løkin placed his shot well wide of the left post.

The recipe was similar a while later: Potemkin shields to set up another NSÍ player, but Símun Rógvi in the HB goal saved well.

Near the end HB could have increased their lead, but Benjaminsen’s attempted lobber lacked quality.

An even match that could have gone both ways. Although HB played better than they did in the league on Saturday, a lot is still missing. But at the moment they are riding their luck…


VB/Sumba – EB/Streymur 0-4 (0-0)
In windy condition, the first division team VB/Sumba managed to hold the Cup holders to 0-0 at half time, but in the second half the EB/Streymur set the record straight. Anrbjørn Hansen opened the scoring before he went out injured. He was replaced by Leif Niclasen who scored a brace before Hans Pauli Samuelsen added one to make it 4-0.

Víkingur – MB Miðvágur 5-0 (3-0)
The match between Víkingur and 1st division side MB Miðvágur was never any real contest. Víkingur scored 3 in the first half – the 3rd on a penalty – and added two in the second half.

KÍ klaksvík - 07 Vestur 0-3 (0-0)
After a goalless first half, where KÍ had produced the better scoring opportunities, KÍ faded in the second half and conceded two early goals. 07 Vestur added a third in stoppage time.

FC Hoyvík- Undri FF 4-0 (1-0)
Undri FF from the 2nd division didn’t provide much resistance to FC Hoyvík from the 1st division. 1 goal in the first half and 3 in the second was enough to take FC Hoyvík to the quarter finals. With no disrespect, FC Hoyvík will be the team all other teams will want to meat in the next round.

B71 Sandoy – ÍF fuglafjørðr 0-1 (0-0)
B71, who were relegated at the end of last season and who haven´t made the best start to the season by losing their opening fixture in the 1st division, provided ÍF Fuglafjørður stiff opposition, but a second half goal from John Thomsen was enough to take íF through.

TB Tvøroyri - B36 Tórshavn 0-0
Extra time: 0-0
TB win 8-7 on penalties
Although last season’s losing cup finalist have been weakened this season, it wasn´t expected that they should get into trouble against 1st division team TB. However, after 120 minutes, neither team had broken the deadlock and penalties were awaiting. TB did better as they finally won 8-7.

AB Argir - B68 toftir 3-2 (1-1)
A real cup classic between these two teams. Although AB levelled to 1-1 in the first half after B68 had taken the lead, B68 looked to be going through as they were leading 2-1 until a couple of minutes from time. But then Janus Joensen equalized with one of his rare goals – on a direct free kick even (apparently, the shot was intended to be a cross) – before Dánial Rói Olsen snatched a dramatic winner for AB in stoppage time.

See results and goal scorers from the 1st round of the Cup here.

The quarter finals will be played on Wednesday April 29th.

| Faroese Soccer | Table | Fixtures/Results | Top Scorers |
| Home of Soccer and Equipment |

Share this page: