April 29, 2009: The Cup Competition, Quarter Finals:

Víkingur - HB Tórshavn 2-1 (1-0)
1-0 Andreas Lava Olsen
2-0 Hanus Jacobsen
2-1 Hans á Lag

Víkingur started the match very brightly and took the lead within 10 minutes with a very fine move. Súni Olsen in centre of field played a long diagonal ball down the left flank where Hans Jørgin Djurhuus got to the byline and made a perfect cross in front of goal to Andreas Lava Olsen who headed home.

A while later, Víkingur were close to 2-0 when Súni Olsen curled a free kick in front of goal, but the header was just over the bar.

HB never threatened the Víkingur-goal during the first half. HB had been forced to make a couple of changes because of injuries to striker Andrew av Fløtum and Fróði Benjaminsen in midfield, but a big club like HB cannot have too many excuses because of two missing men.

Tróndur Sigurðsson, who last season scored bucket loads of goals for AB Argir in the 1st division, had replaced Andrew av Fløtum as the lone striker for HB, but he had an impossible task as he got nothing to work with what so ever.

At the other end Andreas Lava Olsen was a constant threat to the HB goal (just a bit sad seeing his theatrical talents trying to influence the referee to pull yellow cards).

Early in the second half the game changed when Víkingur were reduced to 10 men. But first a flash back to Sunday’s league match between these two teams. Then we wrote in the match report: “This was Djurhuus’s third goal already this season. In previous years he has been more renowned for his yellow and red cards than for scoring goals.”

- Well, that was maybe a bit premature, because the player to be sent off today was… drumbeat: Hans Jørgin Djurhuus!

This happened after he had been in some sort of a brawl with the HB bench.

After this, Víkingur retreated and gave the initiative to HB who were now getting men into the box and a goal looked imminent – not so much because of HB’s good play, but because of their possession and pressure on the Víkingur goal.

The goal came with 20 minutes left of the clock– but it went the other way!

Víkingur countered with left back Hanus Jacobsen at full speed and as he entered the penalty area, he fired the ball flat into the far corner for a 2-0 lead. A well taken goal by the defender.

But HB were back in the match just a couple of minutes later when defender Hans á Lag headed in from close range after a corner.

HB were showing some positive signs on the right hand side where Pætur Jørgensen and Bjarni Jørgensen combined well with Páll Mohr Joensen. But Mohr Joensen was then substituted and Pætur Jørgensen was moved into the centre of field instead. If it was because of injury to Mohr Joensen, then that is the explanation. Otherwise it seemed odd.

But HB was still putting pressure on Víkingur, but now it was mostly with long high balls into the penalty area where defence and goalkeeper mostly dealt with it comfortably.

However, Víkingur were the closer to score when Andreas Lava Olsen raced from HB’s defence and beat the goalkeeper in an aerial duel and got past him, but Lava Olsen’s shot went into the side netting.

Time ebbed out – also the 5 minutes of added time and Víkingur went through to the semi-finals.

A decade a go, HB more or less had a monopoly on the Cup, but now they haven’t won it since 2004; HB’s only win since 1998.

TB Tvøroyri - AB Argir 1-1 (0-0)
1-0 Hanus Mortensen
1-1 Høgni Joensen

Extra time: 0-0

Penalties: 3-4

The hosts who play their football in the 1st division had prepared themselves with a defensive game plan against AB Argir who found it difficult to be the attacking team, as they are more used to the opposite role in the Vodafone Division.

After a goalless 1st half, TB took the lead early in the second half, but AB equalized midway through the half.

Neither party managed to score again and the tie had to be decided on penalties which AB won.

EB/Streymur - FC Hoyvík 1-0 (0-0)
1-0 Hans Pauli Samuelsen

Unexpectedly cup holders EB/Streymur struggled to get the better of 1st division side FC Hoyvík who had come to defend only. EB/Streymur had all of the possession however and did create lot of scoring opportunities but didn´t break the deadlock until 5 minutes were remaining with a goal from Hans Pauli Samuelsen.

07 Vestur - ÍF Fuglafjørður 0-3 (0-2)
0-1 Poul Ennigarð
0-2 Høgni Zachariasen
0-3 Owngoal

07 Vestur had little to offer against ÍF Fuglafjørður who seem to have recovered from their mini-crisis after a slow start to the season.

The visitors took the lead within the first 10 minutes of the start and added a second just before half time. Late in the second half it became 3-0 after a 07 Vestur owngoal.

See results and goal scorers from the quarter-finals of the Cup here.

The two-legged semi-finals will be played on 13 May and 28 May. The final is on national day, 29 July. (The draw for the semi-finals will be made on Monday)

| Faroese Soccer | Table | Fixtures/Results | Top Scorers |
| Home of Soccer and Equipment |