April 11 & 12:
Round 06 of the premier division "Effodeildin":

April 11

FC Suðuroy - AB Argir 3-1 (2-1)
1-0 Valerian Lobashvili
2-0 Mamuka Toronjadze
2-1 Jógvan Andreas Skeel Nolsøe
3-1 Mamuka Toronjadze

FC Suðuroy recorded their first points of the season with a 3-1 win over AB Argir thanks to three goals from Georgian duo Valerian Lobashvili and Mamuka Toronjadze.

Assisted by the strong tailwind, Suðuroy romped to a 2-0 lead inside the first quarter of an hour with Lobashvili netting after four minutes following a scramble after a corner. Compatriot Toronjadze then doubled the lead after 13 minutes as he took full advantage of a long ball forward that initially looked harmless, but which the AB defence managed to make a meal off to allow the Georgian to get clear.

AB then pulled a goal back on the half-hour mark with a volley from Jógvan Andreas Skeel Nolsøe, and as Suðuroy were sitting back for the rest of the match, AB seized the initiative and did create a few scoring opportunities, but eventually the pressure wore off, and as AB gambled towards the end, Toronjadze was left clear to seal a 3-1 win in added time.

Having looked doomed, there is suddenly hope for FC Suðuroy as they now only trail AB in 7th place with 2 points. And after HB in a week, Suðuroy will take on EB/Streymur (h) where they will fancy their chances for more points, and again away to ÍF Fuglafjørður a week later.

AB on the other hand could find themselves in real troubles as their next three matches – all on away soil - against NSÍ Runavík, KÍ Klaksvík and B36 Tórshavn.

April 12

NSÍ Runavík - HB Tórshavn 2-0 (0-0)
1-0 Owngoal (René S. Joensen)
2-0 Klæmint Olsen

NSÍ Runavík are still topping the table after deservedly beating HB Tórshavn, and so convincing was their display, that they could turn out to be real title contenders as it’s difficult to see who will be able to stop them at home. However, their Achilles heel might be on away soil where they’ll have to use less cowardly tactics as they did in their 3-0 defeat to B36 in round three where they didn’t  have confidence in their own abilities and instead let B36 decide matters. 

But at home they always create chances and as Klæmint Olsen is sure to make at least one of them count, the opponents will usually have to score at least twice to win.

After HB maybe had a slide edge in the first quarter of an hour, NSÍ managed to put HB under heavy pressure and created several scoring opportunities during the rest of the half and a goal looked imminent. However, by some luck and also by great goalkeeping from Teitur Gestsson, the ball stayed out. For example a free kick from Árni Frederiksberg, who is knocking on the national team’s door, hit the post and the rebound were saved off the line. Also Klæmint Olsen made some sharp dribbles to break into the penalty area before setting Hákun Edmundsson up for the shot which he blasted well over the crossbar though. And just before the half-time whistle, Olsen’s shot had the goalkeeper beaten, but the ball went narrowly wide of the post. Before that Gestsson had stretched to divert a similar shot around the post.

HB had their best period in the first 10 minutes of the second half, but eventually NSÍ regained the upper hand.

If luck had ever played part in keeping NSÍ from scoring in the first half, luck was certainly in NSÍ’s favour when NSÍ took the lead in the 72nd minute as a simple pass from Magnus Oslen outside the penalty area was deflected off René S. Joensen’s heel to beat his own goalkeeper to give NSÍ the lead.

HB had a couple of reasonable chances to equalize and Arnbjørn Hansen should maybe have done better with his lob over the goalkeeper, although it was from an angle on the edge of the penalty area, and his header at close range from Adrian Justinussen’s cross wasn’t far off. A couple of scrambles in front of goal were close too, but HB never managed to lay any sustainable pressure on NSÍ who on the other hand were also close to increasing their lead. And that’s what happened in the 88th minutes when Jann Martin Mortensen found Klæmint Olsen who slotted home from close range to wrap up the victory with his 10th league goal in 6 rounds.

NSÍ should stay on top after next week’s round also when they play at home to struggling AB Argir before their test the week later away to Víkingur who haven’t really convinced yet.  But the result from that match will say a lot about NSÍ’s abilities however and whether they are built of championship material.

B36 Tórshavn - TB Tvøroyri 3-0 (0-0)
1-0 Lukasz Cieslewicz
2-0 Jákup á Borg
3-0 Árni Guldborg Nielsen

Having held B36 for 45 minutes, the chances for a TB-draw diminished on the stroke of half-time when Arthur D. Poulsen was sent for a second bookable offense – just six minutes after getting his first booking.

TB managed to hold for another 25 minutes when Lukasz Cieslewicz got B36 out of jail.

Jákup á Borg then doubled B36’s lead five minutes from time with his 148th goal in the top division which is an all-time record.

Árni G. Nielsen sealed the match with another goal in the closing stages.

ÍF Fuglafjørður - KÍ Klaksvík 3-1 (1-1)
0-1 Páll Klettskarð
1-1 Bartal Eliasen
2-1 Adeshina Lawal (pen)
3-1 Kristoffur Jakobsen

Heðin á Lakjuni set a new all-time appearance record in the top flight with his 408th appearance when he came on as a sub in the 73nd minute, overtaking retired Egil á Bø’s record. However, both á Lakjuni’s and á Borg’s records are likely to be beaten again sooner rather than later as both of them started their careers when the Faroese league was only 18 rounds. Since 2005 the league has been 27 rounds.

But á Lakjuni’s record was the only thing KÍ had to celebrate although they took the lead through Páll Klettskarð after 11 minutes, turning in a rebound off the crossbar from Hjalgrím Elltør’s effort.

But ÍF restored parity just three minutes later as Bartal Eliasen headed home after some back and forth following a corner.

Although it was KÍ who create the scoring opportunities, it was ÍF who took the lead midway through the second half from a Adeshina Lawal penalty. But that wasn’t enough for Lawal apparently who seven minutes from the end of normal time received a straight red card – his second this season already.

But it were 10-men ÍF who increased their lead five minutes later thanks to Kristoffur Jakobsen.

And it logical: If ÍF score with 10 men, how many goals wouldn’t they score with 9 men? Or that’s probably what Karl Løkin thought when got his second yellow card in the 90th minute so that ÍF could end the match with just 9 men…

But it’s sweet news for B36 who will now face ÍF next Sunday without two of their best men.  

EB/Streymur - Víkingur 1-2 (0-1)
0-1 Gunnar Vatnhamar
0-2 Gunnar Vatnhamar
1-2 Owngoal (Súni Olsen)

No surprises as Víkingur did just enough to beat EB/Streymur with a brace from Gunnar Vatnhamar, netting in the 8th and 70th minute – and scoring his first goals in the top flight.

A minute from time Súni Olsen was credited for an owngoal to make the match on paper appear closer than it was in reality.

Faroe Islands Football | Fixtures/Results | Table | Top Scorers