September 18 & 19: Round 22 of the Vodafone Division:

September 18

HB Tórshavn - Víkingur 2-2 (2-1)
0-1 Símin Hansen
1-1 Jón Krosslá Poulsen (pen)
2-1 Símun Samuelsen
2-2 Finnur Justinussen

Víkingur took the lead within three minutes of the game when Sølvi Vatnhamar got to the by-line inside the penalty area to make a flat cross in front of goal where Símin Hansen took advantage of the slow- thinking HB defence to rifle past goalkeeper Teitur Gestsson.

Víkingur continued to dominate for the next 10 minutes and also created a couple of decent scoring opportunities, but eventually HB worked their way back into the game and started getting closer to Víkingur’s goal and managed to force an equalizer after 20 minutes on a penalty from Jón Krosslá Poulsen after Niclas Niclasen rather clumsily had brought down Símun Samuelsen.

Ten minutes later HB went on to take the lead as they took advantage of a gaping hole in the Víkingur defence where Kári Nielsen’s long high pass from midfield played Símun Samuelsen clear to lob over the advancing Geza Turi in the Víkingur goal and into the net.

Víkingur pressed forward again and were extremely close to the equalizer, but Vodafone top scorer Finnur Justinussen headed on the crossbar.

The first minutes of the second half were relatively quiet, but as the game progressed, Víkingur’s pressure mounted. Justinussen was close a couple of times with headers from free kicks and Kaj Leo í Bartalsstovu’s long range effort forced a diving save from Gestsson.

HB’s tactics for the second half was to sit deep and play on the counterattack that twice needed speedy interference from the Hungarian in the Víkingur goal.

But that left Víkingur with the initiative which they used to put HB under intense pressure in the last 30 minutes of the game.

And with 87 minutes elapsed, the pressure paid dividend when Sølvi Vatnhamar made a perfect cross for the lethal Justinussen to steer home for the equalizer.

On Wednesday HB lost a draw deep into added time against EB/Streymur and it so nearly happened again today, but this time HB survived the scare as Páll Klettskarð bombarded the ball onto the crossbar.

And moments later Justinussen had another great opportunity when he turned in the goal area, but his shot went well over the crossbar when he should have been on target.

For Víkingur the draw was catastrophic as it means they drop six points behind leaders B36 who also have a superior goal difference, and with only five matches remaining, Víkingur’s title challenge seems to have come to an end.

For HB, the one point keeps them in front of three teams (in addition to B71 who must be considered as relegated) in the relegation-battle which. HB’s key matches are the home matches games against 07 Vestur and KÍ Klaksvík in round 24 and 26. Four points in those two fixtures should be enough for HB in order to avoid relegation.

B68 Toftir - B36 Tórshavn 2-3 (1-2)
0-1 Súni Olsen
0-2 Símun Joensen
1-2 Ndende Adama Guéye
1-3 Jonas Flindt Rasmussen
2-3 Jónleif Højgaard

B36 seem to have all the margins on their side and today they were helped to a 2-0 lead with two identical drops from inexperienced B68 goalkeeper Petur Meinhard Magnussen who deputized for Tórður Thomsen today.

The bad luck for the B68 goalkeeper started in the 13th minute as he fumbled an easy cross which allowed Súni Olsen to head B36 in front.

B36’s 2-0 goal was almost a replica as the B68 goalkeeper fumbled another cross which this time allowed left back Símun Joensen to head home his goal no. 7 this season.

But B68 were back in the game just before half time as Senegalese Ndende Adama Guéye scored from Jann Ingi Petersen’s free kick.

The second half was an even affair, but in the 84th minute Danish defender Jonas Flindt Rasmussen decided the match with a disputed goal where B68 claimed that their defender had been pushed down. This was Flindt Rasmussen’s 4th goal in his last six games.

Although Jónleif Højgaard pulled a goal back for B68 in the 90th minute, B36’s win wasn´t under threat in the four minutes of added time.

Next Sunday B36 take on EB/Streymur in the top clash which could have a major bearing on the destination of the title. - A draw for B36, and the title is virtually theirs. Should B36 win, it’s as good as game over.

EB/Streymur - KÍ Klaksvík 3-0 (0-0)
1-0 Hans Pauli Samuelsen
2-0 Leif Niclasen
3-0 Arnbjørn Hansen

As Víkingur faltered against HB Tórshavn, EB/Streymur are now the main challengers to leaders B36. But it needs something special from EB/Streymur as they almost will have to win their remaining six matches to catch B36. If they achieve that, then they have won 13 matches in succession, and that is not something many teams do, although NSÍ managed that feat last season – and still only ended up in 3rd place. EB/Streymur’s biggest challenge is already next Sunday away to B36 who have dropped only 2 points at home this season.

Although KÍ were reduced to 10 men after 20 minutes as defender Sørmund Kalsø was sent off after using the emergency-brake on forward Arnbjørn Hansen, EB/Streymur didn’t break the deadlock until the 72nd minute when Hans Pauli Samuelsen sent the home team on winning course. Leif Niclasen doubled the lead 12 minutes later before Arnbjørn Hansen made it 3-0 shortly before the final whistle with an acrobatic effort.

07 Vestur - B71 Sandoy 2-2 (1-1)
0-1 Gudmund Nielsen (pen)
1-1 Clayton Soares
1-2 Høgni Midjord
2-2 Clayton Soares

It could prove fatal for 07 Vestur in the end that they only managed a draw at home against B71.

Gudmund Nielsen’s early goal from a penalty for the visitors was cancelled out by Brazilian Clayton Soares in the 10th minute.

B71 regained the lead on the hour-mark thanks to Høgni Midjord's solo effort, but 07 Vestur restored parity once again 15 minutes later with Soares's 2nd goal of the day. Actually, 43 year old Jens Erik Rasmussen had missed from the penalty spot as he struck the post, but when the ball came back across seconds later, the Brazilian was there to salvage the situation and a point for 07 Vestur who will find it tough in the run-in.

September 19

NSÍ Runavík - ÍF Fuglafjørður 1-2 (1-0)
1-0 Mamuka Toronjadze
1-1 Christian Chinedu Muomaife
1-2 Christian Chinedu Muomaife

NSÍ took the lead after only 9 minuts when Georgian Mamuka Toronjadze on the right hand side combined with Christian Høgni Jacobsen before he beautifully placed the ball into the top left corner from long range.

ÍF put heavy pressure on NSÍ in the second half and in the space of two minutes Nigerian forward Christian Chinedu Muomaife turned the game around. He equalized after 70 minutes when he got clear of the NSÍ defence and grabbed the winning goal two minutes later when he lobbed Hungarian goalkeeper Andras Gango after a counterattack.

Chris, as the call him, was substituted shortly after as he had been down injured. He has battled injuries for the most of the season. ÍF just cannot afford to be without him for the rest of the season as he is the difference between relegation and not! In 13 league matches, where he only has played most of the match in six of them, he has scored 9 goals.

He might be the target for a signing for many of the bigger clubs next season...

Faroe Islands Football | Fixtures/Results | Table | Top Scorers
Soccer and Equipment home

Share this page: