June 18 & 19, 2011: Round 12 of the Vodafone Division:

June 18

EB/Streymur - HB Tórshavn 3-1 (1-1)
0-1 Fróði Benjaminsen (pen)
1-1 Pauli G. Hansen
2-1 Arnbjørn Hansen
3-1 Arnbjørn Hansen

Although HB took the lead in the first minute of the match, HB were outplayed for the remaining 89 minutes, and although EB/Streymur missed 3 penalties during the first half, they still managed to comfortable win 3-1. – In fact, apart from the penalty, EB/Streymur goalkeeper did not have to make a save during the entire game.

HB got their penalty in a corner situation where the referee deemed EB/Streymur defender Marni Djurhuus to have used irregular methods to hold off the challenge of centre back Hans á Lag. Fróði Benjaminsen made no mistake from the spot to put HB ahead.

But after that, it was one-way traffic as EB/Streymur piled on the pressure and a goal looked imminent.

That goal should have come after a quarter of an hour when EB/Streymur were awarded a penalty as Sorin Anghel went down as he dribbled his way between two defenders. With Anghel’s history in mind, it’s doubtful if the referee made the correct decision. However, Alex dos Santos shot from the spot was saved by Marcin Dawid, who was back in the HB goal for the second time this season.

EB/Streymur continued to press forward and sooner or later someone was going to be art the end of the low or high crosses or passes that were put into HB’s penalty area.

Arnbjørn Hansen should have put the home team ahead, but completely clear at close range, he finished straight into the bosom of Dawid.

After the first 30 minutes of the half, the pressure started to ease, although HB still rarely crossed EB/Streymur’s halfway line. But it was in this period that EB/Streymur found their equalizer which came out of nothing when HB’s central defenders made a meal of a harmless long high pass which Pauli G. Hansen took advantaged of and rifled into the back of the net.

Just a couple of minutes later EB/Streymur were awarded their second penalty of the match when Leif Niclasen's through-ball found Arnbjørn Hansen who went down under the dive of HB-keeper Dawid - difficult to judge if it was correct, but also Hansen has been falling rather easily in recent matches. But in any case, both defending and goalkeeping was poor.

But for the second time in the first half, EB/Streymur missed from the spot as Arnbjørn Hansen's brother, Gert Hansen, shot wide.

A couple of minutes before half-time younger brother Arnbjørn Hansen was chosen to take EB/Streymur’s 3rd penalty. But also he missed from the spot as Dawid dived to his right and pushed the ball onto the post and away to safety. The referee had awarded the penalty for hands after a shot from Hans Pauli Samuelsen, although most spectators saw it as a “ball to hand”-incident rather than “hand to ball”.

HB were just as poor in the second half as they hardly could string more than a couple of passes together in succession, although EB/Streymur didn’t create clear-cut scoring opportunities either. But it was EB/Streymur who were in control and had possession.

And on the hour-mark their dominance paid dividend. A cross ended in front of Arnbjørn Hansen who didn’t get a proper shot in, but as the ball bounced a bit awkwardly, Dawid in the HB goal fumbled and - was beaten.

10 minutes later Hansen was at it again from a corner as he unmarked stuck out a leg to make it 3-1.

This was goal no. 200 in this season’s Vodafone Division. Hansen has scored 7 of them, which brings his total up to 90 goals in 134 matches in the top league.

With today’s loss, HB are now only 3 points clear of a relegation spot. - And the danger is real, as at the moment, only B71 look to be in worse condition.

EB/Streymur climbed their way to second spot, 2 points adrift of B36 Tórshavn who could restore their 5-point lead tomorrow with a win over KÍ Klaksvík.


Finally, some statistics about the missed penalties: Of 30 penalties this season, 9 have been missed which is 30%! That’s just not good enough! EB/Streymur have actally missed their last 4 spot kicks, as they also missed against NSÍ Runavík in the last round.

B71 Sandoy - ÍF Fuglafjørður 1-4 (0-1)
0-1 Dánjal á Lakjuni
0-2 Bogi Løkin (pen)
0-3 Fritleif í Lambanum
0-4 Bogi Løkin
1-4 Tijani Mohammed

Yet another heavy loss for B71 who went behind already in the 7th minutes when Dánjal á Lakjuni scored.

It took another 50 minutes until ÍF scored again on a penalty from Bogi Løkin. Fritleif í Lambanum made it 3-0 before Løkin scored his second goal of the match to make it 4-0 to the visitors.

Ghanaian Tijani Mohammed got a late consolation for B71 whose chances for avoiding relegation become more and more mathematical only.

June 19

B36 Tórshavn - KÍ Klaksvík 4-1 (2-1)
1-0 Lukasz Cieslewicz
2-0 Lukasz Cieslewicz
2-1 Henry Heinesen
3-1 Jákup á Borg
4-1 Lukasz Cieslewicz

Polish forward Lukasz Cieslewicz, who scored a hat trick, was the main difference between the league leaders B36 and newly promoted KÍ.

B36 took advantage from sloppy defending to play Cieslewicz through after 10 minutes to bring the home team in front.

Cieslewicz was at it again on 25 minutes and doubled the lead with a fine solo run to finish in off the post.

But except from the sloppy defending in connection with both goals, KÍ had played well and just before half time they got back into the match when Henry Heinesen scored on the rebound from B36 goalkeeper Meinhardt Joensen who had saved Rudolf Eliasen’s initial shot.

But when Jákup á Borg restored the two-goal cushion shortly after the restart and KÍ had Oddmar á Lakjuni sent off after a vicious tackle a few minutes later, it was effectively game over.

With 20 minutes remaining, Cieslewicz wrapped things up when he completed his hat trick to make it 4-1.

With his three goals today, the Polish striker climbed to the top of the top scorer list, which he joins with NSÍ striker Klæmint Olsen with 10 goals each.

07 Vestur - NSÍ Runavík 4-6 (1-3)
0-1 Christian Høgni Jacobsen
0-2 Jann Martin Mortensen
0-3 Einar hansen
1-3 Clayton Soares
1-4 Klæmint Olsen
2-4 Jens Erik Rasmussen
3-4 Clayton Soares
4-4 Badara Diedhiou
4-5 Owngoal
4-6 Christian Høgni Jacobsen

It looked like a routing of 07 Vestur as NSÍ took a 3-0 win inside the first 12 minutes of the game.

Although Brazilian Clayton Soares pulled a goal back 10 minutes before half time, nothing suggested a dramatic 07 Vestur comeback. Even less so when Klæmint Olsen made it 4-1 to the visitors five minutes after the break.

But incredibly, with five minutes remaining of normal time, the score-line was 4-4!

43-yeal old Jens Erik Rasmussen made it 2-4 from the penalty spot before Soares pulled another one back five minutes later, just after the hour-mark, and suddenly an unlikely equalizer at one point suddenly wasn’t so unlikely anymore.

And the equalizer became real with five minutes left of normal time thanks to Senegalese Badara Diedhiou.

However, it was all in vain as NSÍ were back in front just a couple of minutes later when defender Rógvi Egilstoft Nielsen was unlucky to turn the ball past his own goalkeeper ( as a curiosity, it can be mentioned that 18-year old Egilstoft Nielsen is son of legendary Torkil Nielsen, famous for scoring the goal in the 1-0 win over Austria in 1990).

Incredibly, 07 Vestur still had opportunities to get yet another equalizer in added time as they played with a man in advantage as Magnus Olsen was sent off for NSÍ after a second bookable offence, but instead it was Christian Høgni Jacobsen who scored for NSÍ deep into added time after a counter attack to make the final result 6-4 to NSÍ.

B68 Toftir - Víkingur 1-2 (0-2)
0-1 Finnur Justinussen
0-2 Erling Jacobsen
1-2 Stig-Roar Søbstad

Víkingur stay in close contact with B36 with their 2-1 win over B68. Vikingur went on winning course after only 7 minutes when Finnur Justinusssen scored on a rebound off goalkeeper Tórður Thomsen, who had saved from a clear Sølvi Vatnhamar.

Víkingur controlled must of the first half, and a few minutes before half time Erling Jacobsen doubled Víkingur's advantage directly from a freekick where the B68 goalkeeper didn’t look too well.

Although Norwegian forward Stig-Roar Søbstad reduced the deficit with a header early in the second half with a header - just 10 seconds after he had come on - Víkingur's win was never really threatened.

Faroe Islands Football | Fixtures/Results | Table | Top Scorers
Soccer and Equipment home

Share this page: