October 02, 2010: Round 25 of the Vodafone Division:

HB Tórshavn – NSÍ Runavík 3-2 (3-1)
0-1 Klæmint Olsen
1-1 Fróði Benjaminsen (pen)
2-1 Rókur av Fløtum Jespersen
3-1 Fróði Benjaminsen
3-2 Einar Hansen

With a 3-2 win over NSÍ in the most entertaining match in Gundadalur this season, HB now need only 4 points in their last two remaining matches to clinch the title.

HB went close three times in the first 20 minutes of the match, and every time it was through Rógvi Poulsen who had plenty of space on the right hand side to race from the NSÍ defence. The first shot from an angle went wide of the far post, and moments later Poulsen went down in the penalty area as it appeared as he got a clear – and illegal - push from the defender, but the referee deemed not and waved play on. Poulsen was at it again moments later, but this time the diagonal shot bounced off the far post. Also Rókur av Fløtum Jespersen had been close when he got clear in the penalty area, but he hesitated to shoot and the chance went begging.

Two scenarios looked realistic: Either HB were going to put one in by the law of averages or the missed chances were going to cost dearly. It looked to be the latter when NSÍ took the lead around the half hour mark when Bogi Løkin and Christan Høgni Jacobsen combined well to play Klæmint Olsen clear to score from close range.

HB looked like a dejected team after the goal and were extremely close to concede again a few minutes later, but with the save of the century, goalkeeper Marcin Dawid kept HB alive. Dawid had earlier made another crucial save – let’s call that the save of the year – when he denied the completely clear NSÍ player.

But out of nothing, HB were suddenly given a lifeline in the 37th minute when they were awarded a penalty as the referee adjudged NSÍ defender Jens Joensen to have handled the ball. Judging by the defender’s reaction, it was a right decision. Fróði Benjaminsen coolly slotted home the equalizer from the penalty spot.

Less than two minutes later, HB had turned the score-line on its head when Rókur av Fløtum Jespersen cleverly controlled a well-placed header into the net just inside the right post. Must be his first goal from a header!

As the first half was drawing to a close, NSÍ got a glorious opportunity to get the equalizer as they were awarded a penalty for hand-ball in connection with a scramble near the post. But NSÍ captain Christian Høgni Jacobsen, who had scored on his previous four penalties of the season, fired his shot wide of the left post.

The mistake proved double costly for NSÍ as Fróði Benjaminsen less than a couple of minutes later made it 3-1 for HB with an absolute cracker from all of 35 metres. – A goal worthy of a title if there ever was one.

HB seemed to be in control in the early stages of the second half and also created a couple of scoring opportunities that should have produced more. Andrew av Fløtum had a clear sight of goal but fired his shot from the edge of the penalty area over the goal. Av Fløtum had another effort saved by Andras Gango in goal when the striker tried to slip the ball past the goalkeeper from as he had been played clear.

HB tried to “Barcelona” or “Spain” their way through the second half by just holding on to possession and not attacking wholeheartedly, but as they don’t quite have the abilities for that, they were instead forced back to defend for the last 25 minutes of the match.

In the beginning of that period NSÍ rarely really threatened, but in one incident Heðin á Lakjuni raced towards the by-line to put in an inviting cross, but just to see it cleared, however.

With some 15 minutes remaining NSÍ did pull a goal back with a free kick from Einar Hansen from 25 metres which was allowed to go directly into goal through a crowd of players who maybe blocked the goalkeepers view.

The last 10 minutes were nervy for HB as NSÍ were putting in the high crosses. It was close a couple of times when an NSÍ players was allowed to turn and shoot, but the shots were blocked with desperate sliding self-sacrificing tackles to keep NSÍ at bay.

With the win, HB are now three points clear of the chasers, EB/Streymur and NSÍ, and will win the title if they get one draw and one win in their two remaining matches away to ÍF Fuglafjørður and at home to B36 Tórshavn in the last round.

Víkingur - EB/Streymur 0-3 (0-3)
0-1 Pauli G. Hansen
0-2 Gudmund Nielsen
0-3 Sorin Anghel

After some extremely impressive result in the second half of the season, Víkingur seem to have run out of breath in the run-in. They have coped fine so far with injured players and players who have left the club (like midfielder Súni Olsen (injured), defender Atli Gregersen (left) and striker Andreas Lava Olsen (left)) , but since midfielder Nenad Stankovic was ruled out for the rest of the season after his injury against HB in round 22, Víkingur’s midfield might have suffered too much. Having earned 19 points from a possible 21 in 7 matches before the defeat to HB, Víkingur have now lost 3 of their last 4 matches (the loss to HB included).

With the quite strong wind in their back, EB/Streymur quickly took command of today's match and led 2-0 after 20 minutes with two goals in quick succession. Pauli G. Hansen made it 1-0 with a header from a rebound after the goal keeper had saved from Daniel Udsen's free kick, and four minutes later Gudmund Nielsen made it 2-0. Rumanian Sorin Anghel made it 3-0 shortly before halftime with yet another header after a rebound from Víkingur goalkeeper Geza Turi.

Víkingur improved slightly in the second half but couldn't find a way through EB/Streymur's defence.

For EB/Streymur to win the title, they need HB to collect less than 4 points in the two remaining fixtures of the season. HB have tough matches, away to ÍF Fuglafjørður and "at home" against neighbours B36 Tórshavn. EB/Streymur have easy-on-paper matches away against B71 Sandoy and at home against B68 who are hopeless away from home. Or can B71 spring a surprise at home as they are under pressure from FC Suðuroy who are now hot on their heels? Or could the weather in the last round, which is played as late as 23 October, play any role in the title race…?

Highlights, EB/Streymur - Víkingur

FC Suðuroy - B68 Toftir 2-1 (1-0)
1-0 Palli Augustinussen
2-0 Dan Djurhuus
2-1 Pól Jóhannus Justinussen

Suðuroy took full advantage of B68's terrible away form to bag three points which could prove to be worth a ticket for next season’s top flight.

Suðuroy still trail B71 by a point, but with their last match against relegated AB Argir, Suðuroy will surely fancy their chances for at least a draw which will be enough if B71 don’t get more points. B71 have two difficult matches remaining against title chasers EB/Streymur (at home) and against NSÍ (away) on the last day of competition.

Suðuroy took a shock-lead after only one and a half minute thanks to the captain, Palli Augustinussen.

Suðuroy was the better team for the most and doubled their lead with 10 minutes to go through Dan Djurhuus.

Although B68 pulled a goal back with a header from Pól Jóhannus Justinussen from an Øssur Hansen free kick five minutes later, Suðuroy's win was never under any real threat.

Suðuroy take on Víkingur next. Because of the European qualifiers, the next round isn't before 17 October.

ÍF Fuglafjørður - B71 Sandoy 3-0 (2-0)
1-0 Bartal Eliasen (pen)
2-0 Øssur Dalbúð
3-0 Øssur Dalbúð

B71 had little to offer, and ÍF didn’t need to do to much to comfortably win 3-0.

Bartal Eliasen gave ÍF the lead from the penalty spot midway through the first half before Øssur Dalbúð made it 2-0 with an easy tap-in at the far from a Karl Løkin free kick on the left. The minute earlier Nenad Saric had hit the post for the home side.

ÍF made the points safe midway through the second half when Áki Ellingsgaard released Øssur Dalbúð who made no mistake one on one with the goalkeeper.

Suddenly B71's situation looks quite grim as they are now just a single point ahead of FC Suðuroy who have a far better goal difference on the other hand and therefore just need one point from two matches to leapfrog B71 and push them out of the top division – providing that B71 don't get more points.

AB Argir - B36 Tórshavn 0-5 (0-2)
0-1 Christian R. Mouritsen
0-2 Klæmint Matras
0-3 Róaldur Jacobsen
0-4 Jákup á Borg
0-5 Hjalgrím Elttør

B36 had an easy time against AB who played like the bottom team they are.

Christian Mouritsen opened the scoring after 20 minutes with a long range effort before Klæmint Matras doubled the lead with a header after half an hour.

Róaldur Jacobsen made it 3-0 a few minutes through the second half with a shot from the distance in off the post.

Midway through the half, Jacobsen turned provider for Jákup á Borg who scored from a tight angle.

Ten minutes later it was á Borg's turn to turn provider as he set up Hjalgrím Elttør to finish the 5-0 rout.

Faroe Islands Football | Fixtures/Results | Table | Top Scorers
Soccer and Equipment home

Share this page: