July 27-29, 2010: Round 16 of the Vodafone Division:

July 27

AB Argir - EB/Streymur 1-2 (1-0)
1-0 Ingvard Vang
1-1 Arnbjørn Hansen
1-2 Sorin Anghel

AB took the lead against the run of play 26 minutes through the first half with a goal from Ingvard Vang in his first match for AB. Vang’s only other experience from the top division was around 40 minutes coming on as substitute for three times from HB in 2008.

EB/Streymur were back on level terms a quarter of an hour before the end as Arnbjørn Hansen fired the ball into the back of the net following a long throw in.

EB/Streymur managed to force a winner 3 minutes from the final whistle with a powerful header from Sorin Anghel.

NSÍ Runavík - B68 Toftir 2-1 (1-0)
1-0 Jann Ingi Petersen
2-0 Jann Ingi Petersen
2-1 Ahmet Keita

NSÍ won their 10th victory from their last 11 matches to open up a 4-point lead at the top of the table as they beat neighbours B68.

NSÍ had hit the woodwork a couple of times before midfielder Jann Ingi petersen, who has been in sensational form this season, scored with an incredible long range effort from 35 metres to put NSÍ in the lead about a quarter of an hour through the match.

Petersen, originally from B68, scored against his former team-mates again within two minutes of the second half after Christian Høgni Jacobsen had set him up.

B68 had a chance to get back into the match 7 minutes later with a penalty, but Jóhan Dávur Højgaard, who had started the match on the bench, missed from the spot.

However, B68 weren’t done with yet as Ahmet Keita pulled a goal back with some 20 minutes left of the clock to set up a grand stand finish, but a couple of crucial saves from goalkeeper Andras Gango secured NSÍ the three points.

FC Suðuroy - ÍF Fuglafjørður 0-3 (0-1)
0-1 Øssur Dalbúð
0-2 Øssur Dalbúð
0-3 Andy Olsen

ÍF took the lead on the stroke of half-time as Øssur Dalbúð took advantage of a rebound from goalkeeper Stanislaw Kuzman who had saved the initial shot from Andy Olsen. Striker Dalbúð struck again 27 minutes through the second half to make it 2-0 before Andy Olsen made it 3-0 in added time against 10-men Suðuroy who had forward Jón krosslá Poulsen sent off in the 85th minute after a second yellow card.

July 28

HB Tórshavn - B71 Sandoy 1-2 (0-1)
0-1 Símin Hansen
1-1 Fróði Benjaminsen (pen)
1-2 Mads Hentze

HB are in shock after a 2-1 defeat to B71 whose 3 points could prove to become priceless as they climb to 7th spot in the table and more importantly build a buffer of 6 points between themselves and AB and FC Suðuroy in the two relegation places. HB are now trailing leaders NSÍ by 4 points. 4 points than can prove difficult to make up again.

The first half was a quite even one, played in a low tempo which produced few scoring opportunities, but where it was HB who created the better chances which were squandered, however, because of lack of quality of the final delivery.

But then, less than two minutes from the half time whistle, HB were shocked by an unstoppable bullet from Símun Hansen from 25 metres straight into the top left corner. HB goalkeeper Tórður Thomsen could only watch - and admire the shot, really.

It was clear right from the start of the second half that the HB-players had been given a hairdryer-speech at halftime as they upped the tempo considerably and attacked in full force and had several quality finishes. Sometimes the shots were just wide and sometimes B71’s Serbian goalkeeper Predrag Markovic saved well.

13 minutes through the half the pressure paid dividend as Vagnur Mohr Mortensen was brought down as he entered the penalty area with pace. B71 goal scorer Símun Hansen protested furiously and was given a yellow card as he in anger gave the referee a slight push. Hansen was lucky not getting a second yellow for a couple of free kick he committed later in the match. Anyway, Fróði Benjaminsen coolly converted from the spot to make it 1-1.

HB kept piling on the pressure, and during the first 25 minutes of the half played some of their best football this season, where they attacked down both flanks and sometime through the middle. Andrew av Fløtum brilliantly played Fróði Benjaminsen clear, but Markovic was quick to block the shot. Later, a brilliant long pass (from av Fløtum?) down the left flank between two B71 defenders played Símun Samuelsen clear, but Samuelsen’s finished straight on the goalkeeper when he ought to have scored.

Andrew av Fløtum was also close with a free kick aimed at the near top corner, but Markovic made another fine save. The free kick had been given when Levi Hanssen was tripped just outside the penalty area as he was about to get clear of the defence. Strangely, no yellow card was given for the professional foul.

Eventually the pressure from HB faded away and at the other end B71 were lurking with the quick counterattacks.

And with a quarter of an hour to go HB were hit by another sucker punch. B71 countered down the right hand side where Símun Hansen was floored, but the referee used the advantage rule to let play go on as Mads Hentze was about to receive the ball in a good position around the corner of the penalty area, where he beat the advancing goalkeeper with a shot/cross towards goal which Thomas Hans Rubeksen (who joined B71 this week) got a slight touch to on the line to be registered for the goal (The goal has since been credited to Mads Hentze).

B71 managed to cling on to their lead for the rest of the match which included 5 minutes of added time to bag three massive points which in the end could prove to be the difference between top flight football and 1st division football next season. With a buffer of six points on AB and FC Suðuroy in the relegation zone, B71’s position is looks promising at the moment.

For HB, the loss can prove fatal in the end as they now trail league leaders NSÍ by 4 points.

This was HB’s first home defeat of the season, just as it was B71’s first away win.

29 July

B36 Tórshavn - Víkingur 1-3 (1-2)
1-0 Jákup á Borg
1-1 Sam Jacobsen (pen)
1-2 Páll Klettskarð
1-3 Sølvi Vatnhamar

With 2 goals – one for each – and a read card within three minutes, it was one of the most dramatic openings seen to a football match – anywhere in the world. B36 opened the scoring after only 45 seconds when Hjalgrím Elttør on the left got to the by-line to set up Jákup á Borg for the finish.

Less than a minute later Víkingur were awarded a penalty as the referee deemed B36 centre back Dimitrije Jankovic to have used his hand in the penalty area. In addition, Jankovic was given the red card. Sam Jacobsen scored from the spot to make it 1-1 with less than 3 minutes elapsed of the clock, incredibly.

However, it wasn’t very evident that Víkingur had the man in advantage as B36 were just as much on the ball.

But on the stroke of half time, striker Páll Klettskarð in his league debut for Víkingur scored a cracking goal from to long range where he took the ball down with his chest, turned and let fly – and straight into the top corner of the goal. (Klettskarð was the third man to score on his debut for his club this round as Thomas Hans Rubeksen did the same for B71 yesterday and Ingvard Vang for AB on Tuesday. Update:Mads Hentze has since been credited for the B71-goal instead of Thomas Hans Rubeksen).

With a goal down, the 10 men of B36 found it increasingly more difficult in the second half, and 25 minutes through the half, Sølvi Vatnhamar decided affairs with Víkingur’s third goal.

A win for B36 would have meant that they were still in with a shout for the runners-up spot, but even that looks unrealistic now. Trailing leaders NSÍ by 11 points, all title hopes are over for B36.

For Víkingur the 3 points mean that they are still in the hunt for a European place.

Faroe Islands Football | Fixtures/Results | Table | Top Scorers
Soccer and Equipment home

Share this page: