May 07 & 09, 2010: Round 06 of the Vodafone Division:

May 07

NSÍ Runavík - EB/Streymur 2-1 (0-0)
1-0 Christian Høgni Jacobsen
2-0 Christian Høgni Jacobsen (pen)
2-1 Owngoal

NSÍ earned their second win in 3 days as they beat EB/Streymur who already look to be out of the title hunt, even if it's still early days.

Neither team managed to score in an even first half which saw plenty of chances, however.

EB/Streymur threatened early on in the second half, but NSÍ were saved by the post.

10 minutes through the second half, EB/Streymur were caught on the break when striker Christian Høgni Jacobsen outpaced the opposition and put NSÍ in front.

Jacobsen scored his second goal of the day 10 minutes later when he converted a penalty which EB/Streymur goalkeeper Tróndur Vatnhamar had committed (Vatnhamar replaced normal 1st choice keeper René Tórgarð who got injured against HB on Sunday after an hazardous HB-tackle).

Arnbjørn Hansen pulled a goal back for EB/Streymur four minutes later, but NSÍ managed to hold on to their win (The goal has since been credited as a Johan Troest Davidsen owngoal).

May 09

HB Tórshavn – B68 Toftir 4-3 (3-2)
1-0 Andrew av Fløtum
2-0 Fróði Benjaminsen
2-1 Jóhan Dávur Højgaard
3-1 Milan Kuljic
3-2 Pól Jóhannus Justinussen
3-3 Oddur Højgaard
4-3 Fróði Benjaminsen

B68 looked to have snatched a draw as Oddur Højgaard equalized to 3-3 in the 89th minute, but HB still managed to get the winner when the clock showed 89:85 with a fantastic finish from Fróði Benjaminsen which takes HB to the top of the table, two points clear of B36 who drew with FC Suðuroy.

The match had a very lively start with plenty of chances at both ends. Andrew av Fløtum went very close for HB after 10 minutes, but his shot from the distance went into the roof of the net with the goalkeeper well beaten.

A few minutes later B68 went close when Pól Jóhannus Justinussen on the left got past several defenders and fired against goal. In the end, the shot served as a cross in front of goal, but the HB defence managed to block the shot from a B68 forward.

Goals looked imminent and 18 minutes through the match the rather small crowd in the bitterly cold weather witnessed 5 goals in the space of 16 minutes.

HB got the first with a beauty from Andrew av Fløtum who curled the ball into the top left corner from outside the penalty area.

HB doubled their lead 5 minutes later with a header from Fróði Benjaminsen.

Central defender Jóhan Dávur Højgaard pulled one back for B68 with a header from a corner when HB failed to clear.

HB restored their two-goal cushion when the sleeping B68 defence allowed a clear Milan Kuljic to head home.

But B68 reduced the deficit once again 10 minutes before the end of the first half when Pól Jóhannus Justinussen used his power to shrug of the defenders and scored with a diagonal shot which went in at the far post. Goalkeeper Marcin Dawid looked rather passive.

In the second half HB’s tactic was to defend their lead which gave B68 the initiative. Although B68 had a great majority of the possession, HB should have taken the lead when Tór-Ingar Akselsen had a free header from close range, but Vlada Filipovic made a super save to deny HB.

B68’s threats mostly came from high crosses into the penalty area which several times were close to pay dividend and in the end it was the recipe for B68 equalizer in the 90th minute. A long high freekick from the B68 half was knocked into HB’s penalty area where Oddur Højgaard who just had come on rose to head the ball into the back of the net.

It looked like HB’s cowardly tactics of not attacking in the second half had cost them the victory. But Fróði Banjaminsen had other ideas!

Benjaminsen received the ball in centre of goal a few meters outside the penalty area. With a cheeky feint he wrongfooted the B68 defender before he drove the ball into the back of the net with laser pointer precision just inside the right post and out of reach for goalkeeper Vlada Filopovic as the stadium clock showed 89:55. A top class goal from the HB captain.

This was the 4th goal HB have score in the 90th minutes or later. In the first match against FC Suðuroy they equalized to 4-4 about six minutes in to added time. Against NSÍ they scored twice after the 90th minute to turn around 0-1 to 2-1.

Víkingur - B71 Sandoy 0-0
B71 got the point they had come to for in a match which Víkingur dominated but never managed to get past Bárður Johannesen in the B71 goal. Víkingur's best effort was a free kick from Súni Olsen which smashed against the post.

Because of strong wind in Gøta, where Víkingur normally plays, the match had been moved to Leirvík, where there was less wind. Leirvík was the homeplace of former LÍF which together with GÍ merged to Víkingur a few years ago.

FC Suðuroy - B36 Tórshavn 1-1 (0-1)
0-1 Johan Ellingsgaard
1-1 Mamuka Toronjadze

B36 took the lead 5 minutes before half time when forward Hjalgrím Elttør set up right back Jóhann Ellingsgaard to score.

But Suðuroy were the better team in the second half and equalized with a solo effort from the Georgian Mamuka Toronjadze 10 minutes after the break.

B36 have now drawn 3 of their last 3 matches and have dropped to second in the table and are trailing leaders HB by 2 points. Suðuroy are in 7th position, but only a point above EB/Streymur who are below the drop-line, but when EB/Streymur start climbing, Suðuroy will be battling it out with AB Argir and B71 Sandoy.

AB Argir - ÍF Fuglafjørður 0-2 (0-0)
0-1 Øssur Dalbúð
0-2 Nenad Saric

After a goalless first half it was ÍF who dominated the second half and opened the scoring on the hour mark with a goal from Øssur Dalbúð before Nenad Saric made it 2-0 six minutes later.

The alarm bells must be ringing now at AB as they are rooted to the bottom of the table with only 2 points. As EB/Streymur, who are currently 9th, will surely start to climb sooner or later, AB will have to overtake both B71 and Suðuroy, to avoid relegation.

Faroese Soccer | Fixtures/Results | Table | Top Scorers
Home of Soccer and Equipment