August 27, 2006: Round 21 of the Formula Division:

HB title-hopes end with uninspired draw against Skála

HB's dream of catching EB/Streymur faded away with a dull display in Gundalur Stadium today.

However, HB started brightly enough though and took the lead just 7 minutes into the match. Jovan played a long high ball into Skála's penalty area, and when the ball bounced off the ground, Jákup á Borg was there with a stretched leg to tap it into the goal in front of a surprised goalkeeper and a couple of defenders, who all had miscalculated the bounce of the ball.

HB had majority of possession for the rest of the half, but didn't play well though. Tór-Ingar Akselsen had a couple of long range efforts, and apart from that, HB didn't create much, except from a few almost-opportunities.

Skála also visited the HB-penalty area on a few occasions, but never really threatened to score. The closest they came was when Johan Troest Davidsen blasted a cross well over the goal from close range.

But it took Skála only 4 minutes of the second half to level the score, when an unmarked Bogi Gregersen right in front of goal could tap in Levi Hansen's low cross from the right by-line, just inside the penalty area, after HB's defence had been caught sleeping. If HB were sleeping because they hadn't done any warm-up for the second half, as most teams do nowadays, including Skála, we can only speculate in… But in HB they don't think it's necessary to do second half warm-up, although it's recommended by physicians and physiotherapists.

But the rest of the match was an un-inspirational affair with poor play from both teams. Skála seemed to be more or less satisfied with the draw and played with many men behind the ball and HB had great difficulties breaking down the well organized Skála team.

In fact, HB created only one real scoring opportunity, when Jálkup á Borg received the ball 10 meters from the goal, but his volley was powered well over the far top corner.

With just 1 point from today, HB fell 7 points behind EB/Streymur and thereby all but ended their dream of winning the championship this year.

EB/Streymur – NSÍ Runavík 4-1 (1-0)
After beating NSÍ 4-1, and with just 6 matches remaining and with a 5 point gap to 2nd place B36, EB/Streymur only have a couple of hurdles to overcome in order to win the championship title. Indeed, if this was Formula One, the headline would probably say that "only a puncture can now stop EB/Streymur from winning the title". But nothing in the control-room indicates any puncture. Against NSÍ, EB/Streymur controlled the game from start to finish, although they didn't get the opening goal before first half's stoppage time. If luck follow the good teams, or if you create you own luck, shall be unanswered here, but EB/Streymur's opener came from a deflected Ronnie Samuelsen shot, which deceived NSÍ goalkeeper, Jens Martin Knudsen. 4 minutes into the second half, NSÍ's Pól Thorsteinsson was given the red card for using the emergency break. But NSÍ suffered a double blow when John Heri Dam scored directly on the following free kick. EB/Streymur added two more goals with NSÍ scoring a consolation in-between. EB/Streymur's only remaining hurdles now lay with Skála (a), GÍ (h) and KÍ at home in the last match of the season. VB/Sumba (a), B68 (a) and ÍF (a) shouldn't produce to many problems.

VB/Sumba – B36 Tórshavn 0-2 (0-0)
B36 is now the only realistic threat to EB/Streymur. But 5 points is a lot to be behind so late in the season and B36 still have matches left against HB, NSÍ (a), Skála (h) and GÍ (a) on the last day. VB/Sumba's tightened defence held for the first 45 minutes, although B36's Fróði Benjaminsen wasted a penalty. But early in the second half, B36 scored 2 quick goals to win the match. VB/Sumba's time of truth come in rounds 23 and 24, when they encounter B68 (a) and ÍF (h).

B68 Toftir – KÍ Klaksvík 2-3 (0-3)
KÍ were cruising to an easy victory in the first half, leading 3-0. However, B68 got a penalty, but Meinhart Joensen in the KÍ goal saved from Ovi Magnussen. This was the KÍ-keeper's 4th penalty-save of the season (2 against HB, 1 against NSÍ). But in the second half, B68 turned things around. First, Súni Fríði Barbá scored from another penalty (and KÍ's Marek Wierzbicki was sent off for a second bookable offence) and later, Julian Johnsson gave B68 hope, when he scored after a corner. But KÍ just managed to hold on to their victory. B68's fate will be sealed if they can't beat VB/Sumba (h) and ÍF (a) in round 23 and 25.

ÍF Fuglafjørður – GÍ Gøta 2-2 (1-0)
In the last round, ÍF lost their all important 3 points in the dying moments in the match against Skála and today it happened again when GÍ equalized in stoppage time. ÍF had taken the lead in the first halt, but GÍ levelled the score in the second. But then ÍF scored, what they though would be the winner, in stoppage time, but again GÍ equalized seconds from the final whistle. ÍF could easily have had 4 more points in the table, and that would have made all the difference, because now they will find it very difficult to avoid relegation, but if they can beat VB/Sumba and B68, round 24 and 25, then they still have a chance…
But this result was annulled because of a serious mistake by the referee, who for a while allowed IF to play with 12 players on the field! ( more details here ). The match was ordered to be re-played. GÍ won the replay 3-1.

All the results from round 21:

HB Tórshavn – Skála 1-1 (1-0)
1-0 Jákup á Borg
1-1 Bogi Gregersen

EB/Streymur - NSÍ 4-1 (1-0)
1-0 Ronnie Samuelsen
2-0 John Heri Dam
3-0 Arnbjørn Hansen
3-1 Jústines R. Hansen
4-1 Teitur Joensen

VB/Sumba - B36 0-2 (0-0)
0-1 Mikkjal Thomassen
0-2 Amed Davy Sylla

B68 Toftir - KÍ Klaksvík 2-3 (0-3)
0-1 Christian Lundberg
0-2 Paul Clapson
0-3 Paul Clapson
1-3 Súni Fríði Barbá (pen)
2-3 Julian Johnsson

ÍF Fuglafjørður - GÍ Gøta 2-2 (1-0)
1-0 Nenad Carich
1-1 Kaj Ennigarð
2-1 Hanus Eliasen
2-2 Kaj Ennigarð
But this result was annulled because of a serious mistake by the referee, who for a while allowed IF to play with 12 players on the field! ( more details here ). The match was ordered to be re-played.

Replay, on September 20, 2006:
ÍF Fuglafjørður – GÍ Gøta 1-3 (1-1)
1-0 Hanus Eliasen
1-1 Áslakur R. Petersen
1-2 Sam Jacobsen
1-3 Gunnar Nielsen

| Faroese Soccer | Table | Fixtures/Results | Top Scorers |
| Home of Soccer and Equipment |

Share this page: