August 11, 2010: UEFA Euro 2012 Qualifier, Group C:

Estonia - Faroe Islands 2-1 (0-1)
0-1 Jóan Símun Edmundsson
1-1 Kaimar Saag
2-1 Raio Piiroja

Jóan Símun Edmundsson’s goal after 27 minutes looked to be enough for a famous win in Estonia, but in added time, Estonia scored twice to wreck it for the Faroe Islands.

Estona had opened the match brightly and had several attempts on the Faroese goal early on and 11 minutes through the match, Oper should have given the hosts the lead as he got completely clear inside the penalty area after sloppy Faroese defensive play, but Oper’s shot went wide of the far post.

A minute late, Estonia went close again when a cross from the left hit the far post. Moments later, the Faroes saved on the line following a corner, and just before the 20-minute mark, Estonia threatened again with a powerful header that went just wide of the post, as Gunnar Nielsen in goal would have well beaten.

A couple of minutes later, the Faroes had their first effort when Símun Samuelsen crossed to Jóan Símun Samuelsen who volleyed wide. – But it was a decent opportunity. – And a warning shot from the 19-year old Newcastle-based striker!

Because in the 28th minute Estonia failed to clear properly from the penalty area, and Fróði Benjamonsen won the aerial duel to set up Edmundsson who had a clear sight of goal on the edge of the area, and with a low shot just inside the goalkeepers left post, the youngster finished clinically to give the Faroe Islands the lead.

The pressure which Estonia had produced in the first 20 minutes had eased as the half had progressed, but as the half was drawing to a close, Estonia produced another couple of dangerous opportunities.

Estonia failed to put any sustainable pressure on the Faroese goal in the first 30 minutes of the second half, but as the clock was ticking towards the end, the pressure mounted.

With five minutes left of normal time, Lady Luck smiled the Faroese way, as Estonia struck a freekick on the upright. However, the lady changed her mind a few moments later...

The clock had just completed its 90 minutes when Estonia's Sandor Post set up Saag for the equalizer, and 3 minutes into added time, centre-back Piiroja snatched the winner for Estonia from close range as Jääger had knocked a long free-kick into the penalty area.

Video highlights: Estonia vs. Faroe Islands

Results and table

Faroe Islands Football News
Soccer and Equipment home

Share this page: