May 17, 2007: Cup Quarter-finals:

HB Tórshavn qualifiy for the cup semifinals after easy win over AB Argir

HB Tórshavn - AB Argir 4-0 (3-0)
1-0 Tór-Ingar Akselsen
2-0 Milan Kuljic
3-0 Tór-Ingar Akselsen
4-0 Rókur av Fløtum Jespersen

In a boring quarterfinal-match in Gundadalur today, HB had no problems getting past AB Argir, whom they drew 2-2 with in the league less than a fortnight ago.

Actually HB scored in their first attack of the match. Goal scorer was Tór-Ingar Akselsen. Tór-Ingar should also have made it 2-0 when he was played clear in the goal area, but in two attempts, he shot straight at the AB goalkeeper, Magnus Poulsen. A few moments later, Tór-Ingar seemed robbed of a clear penalty, when AB's goalkeeper seemed to bring down Tór-Ingar, but the referee was of another opinion.

Halfway through the first half HB were up 2-0, when Milan Kuljic was played through and had the easiest of task to score.

Shortly before the half time whistle, Tór-Ingar Axelsen finally got his second goal of the match with a flat shot from just within the penalty area.

AB produced nothing at the other end throughout the first 45 minutes.

In the second half, AB were close to score on a couple of occasions when they hit the woodwork; the crossbar once and the post once.

However, HB's victory was never in doubt.

HB created several scoring opportunities in the second half, but only once were they effective. That was when Rókur av Fløtum Jespersen dribbled past two defenders in the penalty area and fired a flat diagonal shot into the goal at the far side.

HB also hit the woodwork twice: a shot from Christian Høgni Jacobsen hit the upright, and Páll Mohr Joensen hit the crossbar. HB also had other opportunities, but their finishing was not up to par.

HB never fired on all cylinders, as it wasn't necessary against the limited opposition they got from AB. They probably also had the league match away to GÍ Gøta on Sunday in their mind and wanted to economize their fuel.

EB/Streymur – ÍF Fuglafjørður 9-8, after Extra-Time and penalties
Formula Divison leaders EB/Streymur were almost knocked out of the cup by 1st division team ÍF Fuglafjørður. ÍF were 3-1 down in the first half, but made a strong comeback in the second and managed to level the score to force extra time. And here ÍF took the lead in the second half of extra time, but with a man in deficit (Hans Pauli Samuelsen was shown red) EB/Streymur were given a lifeline when Hans Pauli's elder brother Ronnie Samuelsen headed in the 4-4 equalizer after a corner. This was Ronnie's 3rd goal of the match. The match was therefore decided on penalties, which EB/Streymur won.

KÍ Klakvsík – Skála 5-6 on penalties (0-0 after 120 minutes)
After stalemate for 120 minutes, this thriller was decided on penalties. Skála scored on their first 6, and KÍ then had to score on their 6th to stay in the cup. This duel was between KÍ's 34 year old veteran Jan Andreasen and Skála's 16 year-old goalkeeper Hans Jørgensen. The winner: Hans Jørgensen! – And Skála qualified for the semifinals. This was only the goalkeeper's 6th game in Skála's senior team (5 leage + 1 cup), and so far, he has let only one goal go past him after 570 minutes!

VB/Sumba – TB Tvøroyri 3-1 (0-0)
The "Suðuroy-derby" between the bottom team from the Formula division, VB/Sumba and TB from the 1st division was also a tight and exciting one. Late in the game, the score was 1-1, but in injury time, VB/Sumba scored twice to take them through to the semi finals.

The two-legged semifinals will be played on June 13 and July 11.

See results and goal scorers in the Cup competition here

| Faroese Soccer |
| Home of SoccerandEquipment |

Share this page: