March 17, 2012: Super Cup:

B36 Tórshavn – EB/Streymur 1-2 (1-0)
1-0 Símun Joensen
1-1 Hans Pauli Samuelsen
1-2 Arnbjørn Hansen

Having been completely outplayed in the first half, EB/Streymur looked like a completely other team in the second half and in the end deservedly won 2-1 with goals from Hans Pauli Samuelsen and the last gasp winner from Arnbjørn Hansen.

But nothing suggested that EB/Streymur would lift the Super Cup for the second year in succession as they were completely outplayed by B36 in the first half.

B36 moved the ball around very well and their attacking game – often with finesse - looked sharp and it looked like it was only a question of time until B36 would take the lead.

That prediction became a reality shortly before the first quarter of an hour from a corner where B36’s big men headed the ball a couple of times before left back Símun Joensen pushed the ball over the line. Looks like the left back is in the same goal-scoring shape as last season where he scored 8 league goals.

And this is not going to be the last goal from a corner that B36 will get this season as they created danger from all of them and put maximum pressure on EB/Streymur when they occupied the goal-area with their big men.

B36 had other chances to score and the best effort was from Lukasz Cieslewicz who with speed and sharp dribbles created space for himself to fire from the edge of the penalty area, but René Tórgarð in the EB/Streymur goal denied the Polish striker with a fine diving save.

B36 had a couple of other chances, but Tórgarð was alert on both occasions.

EB/Streymur looked completely out of the game and had no effort on the B36 goal throughout the first 45 minutes.

But EB/Streymur coach Heðin Askham must have talked with BIG LETTERS at half time as it was a transformed and much more eager EB/Streymur team that came out for the second half.

Quickly they started creating opportunities, and a couple were misused before they equalized around the hour-mark when Hans Pauli Samuelsen was played clear in front of goal after goalkeeper Meinhardt Joensen had parried an initial shot from the edge of the penalty area.

Later Hans Pauli Samuelsen’s curling long range effort deserved to go in, but it bounced off the inside of the upright. You won’t see them much better anywhere.

Also Sorin Anghel was close, but his effort was right on the B36 goalkeeper.

B36 were rare guests in front of the EB/Streymur goal in the second half, but only a master save from Tórgarð denied Høgni Eysturoy from a clear position after being set up by Símin Hansen.

Few minutes later Eysturoy was given the red card – not for missing, but for bringing down EB/Streymur forward Arnbjørn Hansen who was through on goal. As the free kick went over goal, the action looked to have saved B36 from losing, but Hansen had other ideas as he deep into injury time cleverly flicked a ball from an acute angle past Meinihardt Joensen in the B36 goal to secure EB/Streymur the super cup the second year in succession.

It’s a shame however for B36 that right back Høgni Eysturoy will now be suspended for the opening two matches of the league, as the super cup counts as an official match. As the match in reality is more like a friendly match, it’s a very harsh suspension to get for such an innocent red card when all comes to all. B36 will surely claim that there wasn’t even a foul.

But if the football association counts the match as an official match, then they should also use their best referees for such matches and not one who only has experience from the 3rd tier. Hereby not saying the referee made a wrong decision, but as a principal, official matches should not be used as training for a referee-trio.

| Faroese Soccer |
| Home of SoccerandEquipment |

Share this page: