March 2014 Round-Up:

March 14, 2014

Goalkeeper Kristian  Joensen makes last ditch signing for B68

The transfer window closed on midnight on Monday and the most notable signing was the one of NSÍ Runavík goalkeeper Kristian Joensen who signed a loan deal with B68 Toftir with a minute to spare before the window shut.

Joensen had hoped for a contract with a foreign club but was left empty-handed, except for the reserve-jersey for NSÍ as they in the meantime had signed Hungarian goalkeeper Andras Gango. 

With too good qualities for being a benchwarmer, Joensen chose to sign for B68 instead, where he is virtually guaranteed the no. 1 jersey. The loan-deal lasts until the summer, at first.

Joensen won’t be between the sticks in the first round though, as B68 face NSÍ.

Some other low-profile transfers were made on the last day of transfer,  but we will leave it here.

March 09, 2014

Super Cup
The traditional Super Cup between last season’s champions HB Tórshavn and cup winners Víkingur which marks the start of the 2014 football season will be played on Monday evening. It was originally scheduled for today, Sunday, but because of stormy weather, the match was postponed to Monday. 

The league commences on Saturday 15 March:
Víkingur – AB Argir
EB/Streymur- HB Tórshavn
B36 Tórshavn - Skála

and on Sunday:
NSÍ Runavík –  B68 Toftir
ÍF Fuglafjørður – KÍ Klaksvík.


Faroese win over Gibraltar not official
The Faroese 4-1 win over Gibraltar a week ago is not counting as an official international as Gibraltar not yet has formally been recognized by FIFA. So neither result nor goal scorers have been added to the previous tally. And the FIFA ranking list will not be affected by the result either.

Spain boycotts friendly match with Malaga
In addition to the match against Gibraltar on the training cap in Spain, another friendly against Malaga was planned, but suddenly the Spanish football association refused the match to go ahead as they wouldn’t allow any other national team to play in Spain on the same day as the Spanish national team plays (friendly against Italy).

Spain has the legal right to do that, but some – conspiracy theory maybe? – speculation has been whether the Spanish football association wants to punish the Faroe Islands for - a second time in three years - having played against Gibraltar, who Spain is all but happy about getting independent football recognition.


Transfer News
Some player news before the transfer window closes on Monday at midnight:

NSÍ Runavík
Midfielder Jústinus Hansen has returned to NSÍ after a year and a half in Norway where he has been working. 28-year old Hansen has 4 caps for the Faroe Islands; all back in 2010.

Skála have signed Russian goalkeeper Mark Ruyten who comes from Danish club AaB Aalborg where he has been reserve keeper the last year. 28-year old Ruyten is from St. Petersburg.

KÍ Klaksvík
KÍ Klaksvík have had 31-year year-old Brazilian forward Rodrigo Goncalves de Oliveira Lopes Silva – or just Rodrigo - on a trial. Rodrigo played for KÍ in 2008 when he scored 11 goals in 23 matches. The outcome of the trial has not been announced, but we interpret it as Rodrigo will play for KÍ this year.
(Update: Contract confirmed on Monday)

March 03, 2014

The draw for the cup competition was made on Monday evening.

The only big game of the first round seems to be the Tórshavn derby between HB and B36. The only other top division clash is cup-holders Víkingur against newcomers Skála who will get it difficult despite some promising results in pre-season.

The full draw:  

Preliminary round,
15. March:

Undrið FF (2div) - MB Miðvágur (2div)
Giza/Hoyvík (2div) - B71 Sandoy (2div)
Royn Hvalba (3div) (buy)


First round,
5 April:

FC Suðuroy (1div) - NSÍ Runavík
Víkingur - Skála
AB Argir - TB Tvøroyri (1div)
HB Tórshavn - B36 Tórshavn
ÍF Fuglafjørður - winner Undrið vs MB Miðvágur
Winner Giza/Hoyvík vs B71 Sandoy - EB/Streymur
KÍ Klaksvík - 07 Vestur (1div)
B68 Toftir - Royn Hvalba (3div)

March 01, 2014

The Faroe Islands beat Gibraltar 4-1

Gibraltar – Faroe Islands 1-4 (1-2)
20': 1-0 Roy Chipolina
26': 1-1 Jóan Símun Edmundsson
31': 1-2 christian Lamhauge Holst
58': 1-3 hallur Hansson
67': 1-4 Christian Lamhauge Holst

The Faroe Islands comfortably beat Gibraltar in tonight’s friendly international, and although the home-team took the lead after 20 minutes, the Faroes were 2-1 up 10 minutes later and were in full control in the second half where they scored another two goals to win 4-1.

The Faroes had had majority of the possession when Gibraltar’s unmarked captain Roy Chipolina’s downward-header at the far post gave them the lead from a corner after 20 minutes. 

But Gibraltar’s defence had seemed slow and hesitant, and the Faroese players had no problems in holding on to the ball and combining around their opponents. On 24 minutes the Faroes appealed for a penalty as Jóan Símun Edmundsson went down as he turned, but the referee seemed to think that Edmundsson had gone for it too obviously.

But just a couple of minutes later Edmundsson equalized with a low drive from 22 metres that went in just inside the post.

Gilli Sørensen on the right hand side then showed off some of his dribbling skills as he seemed able to get past defenders at will, but in the end his shot was blocked by a group of defenders inside the penalty area.

On the half-hour, Pól Jóhannus Justinussen was played clear on the left, but his diagonal shot went just over the the crossbar.

But the minute after, Christian Lamhauge Holst gave the Faroe Islands the lead with a somewhat lucky deflected shot from 18 metres that went in off the post.

The Faroes should have score again after 40 minutes when Edmundsson was awarded a penalty for a boot in his face, but captain Fróði Benjaminsen fired well over the crossbar.

But Lamhauge Holst should have scored again a minute later when he got clear, but rather unselfish he chose to make the pass instead of shooting which ebbed out into nothing.

And Lamhauge Holst wasted another sitter again a minute after when he was clear, but fired wide and over.

The Faroes mede it 3-0 13 minutes into the second half when the ball dropped at the feet of midfielder Hallur Hansson just outside the goal area, and with a couple of simple feints he wrongfooted two defenders to get clear to fire the ball into the back of the net. This was 21-year old Hansson’s 3rd international goal and could be the one to target Rógvi Jacobsen’s 10-goal record for the Faroes.

The Faroe Islands went 4-1 up in the 68th minute when Edmundsson protected the ball well at the by-line on the right, before he made the cross onto the area where Lamhauge Holst headed home with a well exercised header to score his 5th goal for the Faroe Islands who for the first time ever score 4 goals in UEFA recognised match.

Faroe Islands Football News
Soccer and Equipment home