Goal after 45 seconds helps Israel beat the Faroe Islands 2-1

October 08, 2005: World Cup Qualifier, Israel - Faroe Islands:

Israel – Faroe Islands 2-1 (1-0)
1-0 Yossi Benayoun 1’
2-0 Michael Zandberg 90’
2-1 Símun Samuelsen 90’

It took Israel only 45 seconds to get their first goal… or maybe it’s more correct to say it took the Faroe Islands only 45 seconds to hand Israel the goal, when goalkeeper Jákup Mikkelsen made a meal of a simple back-pass and served the ball to an onrushing Yossi Benayoun who swept the ball into the net for an early lead.

On 8 minutes, an Israeli rounded the Faroese keeper, after Israel looked to have beaten the Faroese off side trap, but the referee mistakenly blew for off side. But the Israeli shot went into the side-netting anyway…

On 26 minutes Rógvi Jacoben was played through on the right and searched into the Israeli penalty area, but in combat with two defenders, he fell to the ground before he had a shot at goal.

Israel then countered immediately, and after some back and forth got a man clear in the 6-yard box, but the free header went just wide of goal.

3 minutes later, Óli Johannesen played Rógvi Jacobsen through again, with a long pass, but Rógvi’s shot was straight at the goalkeeper.

A couple of minutes later, was again through on the right, Jákup Mikkelsen was quick out of his goal to narrow the angel and saved with his legs.

A minute later, Israel was close again, this time with a free kick.

Israel then had several good crosses into the Faroese penalty area, but every time, keeper Jákup Mikkelsen was at the right place.

On 43 minutes, an Israel had a free header with an open goal, but he placed the ball wide.

In injury time, an Israeli was played clear again, but his lobber was off target.

In the second half, Israel really put on the pressure and had 3 or 4 good opportunities within the first five minutes and should have score.

On 59 minutes Jákup Mikkelsen tipped a long-range effort over the crossbar. A couple of minutes later, Israel went close again, but the header was straight at Jákup Mikkelsen.

About half an hour into the second half, the Faroes had their best attempt on goal with a long-range shot from Fróði Benjaminsen, but the Israeli goalkeeper dived to his right and parried the shot.

But in the 90th minute, Israel finally managed to double the lead, after having squandered a whole string of good opportunities. A cross from the right went across the whole of the Faroese defense and went to an Israel player on the edge of the 6 yard box who squared the ball to Michael Zandberg, in center of goal, who scored through the legs of the goalkeeper.

However, 1 minute into time added on, the Faroe Islands reduced the score, when Símun Samuelsen from almost the byline on the edge of the penalty area, scored with a thunderous shot.

But it was merely a consolation.

All in all, a well deserved victory for Israel, whose faith now rely on the results in other matches, if they are to qualify for the 2006 world cup playoffs. But for that to happen, France will have to lose against Cyprus on October 12.

The Faroe Islands got 1 point in this World Cup campaign, when they drew 2-2 in Cyprus, and will, surprisingly, not be going to the world cup… ahem… :-)

This was Henrik Larsen’s last game as coach for the Faroe Islands.

| Faroese Soccer |
|Home of SoccerandEquipment |

Share this page: