August 7, 2005: Round 18 of the Formula 1st Division:

Red card for playing coach Heine Fernandez proves costly for HB Tórshavn

HB Tórshavn - B36 Tórshavn 1-1 (0-0)
1-0 Vagnur Mohr Mortensen 54'
1-1 Óbi 72'

HB was looking comfortable, when they got in front after 68 minutes, but just 2 minutes later, playing coach, Heine Fernandez, very unprofessionally got him self a stupid red card.

B36 took advantage of the situation immediately and equalized just 2 minutes later.

Both teams had good opportunities in the first minutes of the game. B36’s Klæmint Matras headed just over the HB goal and in the other end, Bárður Mortanson had a good shot from long range at the B36 goal, but goalkeeper Jákup Mikkelsen made a fine save.

Rúni Nolsøe also had a long-range effort for HB, which hit the crossbar. Apart from a volley from Bárður Mortanson, which Jákup Mikkelsen saved comfortably and a low B36 cross that could have become fatal if Bárður Mikkelsen hadn't caught the ball just in front of a B36 attacker, there weren’t any real scoring opportunities.

Mostly, it had been an even first half, where maybe B36 had slightly more ball possession, but with HB creating more scoring opportunities.

In the second half HB improved and looked the more likely scorer. About 10 minutes into the second half, HB had a throw in. The ball entered the B36 penalty area, but B36 weren’t able to clear it and it ended at the feet of Bárður Mortanson 1 meter from the goal line. Bárður lifted the ball to Vagnur Mohr Mortensen, who was unmarked right in front of goal, even though he was surrounded by 3 B36 defenders, and Vagnur couldn’t miss the open goal. 1-0 for HB.

HB looked to be totally in control at this stage and B36 hadn’t created anything that looked like a goal-scoring oppurtunity, but just 2 minutes after the goal, Heine Fernandez was shown the red card. Heine had just come on in the second half, and as HB had just made some tactical changes and had moved some players around, HB’s defense seemed to be quite confused having to play 10 against 11, and it only took B36 2 minutes to score. Allan Mørkøre crossed the ball to Óbi, who was clear in the penalty area, and he beat the goalkeeper and equalized.

Later, HB’s central defender Jóhannis Joensen got injured, but as HB had made all their substitutions, he couldn’t be replaced and was therefore moved up in the attack, just so that B36 had attach a defender to him. But Jóhannis wasn´t able to run and B36 were therefore effectively playing 11 against 9.

B36 piled on the pressure and HB defended desperately, but they held on to the end and salvaged a point from the game.

But at 1-0 up, HB shouldn’t have given B36 a lifeline, but should and could and if and but don’t help much.

As Skála won 4-1 over GÍ Gøta, 3 teams are now tied at the first spot, all with 36 points: Skála, HB and B36.

The other matches in round 18:

Skála took advantage of the draw between HB Tórshan and B36 Tórshav and snatched back the first spot on the table (although joined with HB and B36, all with 36 points), after beating GÍ Gøta 4-1. GÍ has been plagued with injury problems this season and now they have also lost Súni Olsen, who has signed a contract with Danish Superliga side, Aalborg.

EB/Streymur ran riot today and demolished VB Vágur 6-1. VB has lost influential player Símun Samuelsen, who has joined Keflavík in the Icelandic 1st division. But just one player shouldn’t have that much bearing on the result. VB will have to be careful, because they are only 4 points from the bottom.

KÍ Klaksvík lost their 8th successive match when they lost away to NSÍ Runavík. KÍ are tied at the bottom with TB Tvøroyri, both on 14 points. In the next round, TB and KÍ will meet in the HUGHE game that can become very decisive for who will end the season in the last spot and be relegated. Second to last is usually good enough, as they will play against no. 2 in the second division, and usually the 2nd division team won’t beat the 1st division team. Earlier in the week, KÍ announced that they have signed a 4-year contract with Tony Paris to be their coach from next season. Tony Paris was KÍ´s double-winning coach in 1999. He was also with KÍ in 1977 and 1978. He has already proclaimed that he is the best coach in the Faroe Islands... did anybody say Mourinho?

ÍF Fuglafjørður got some air between them and the bottom teams when they beat TB Tvøroyri by 1 goal to 0 and also leapfrogged both GÍ Gøta and VB Vágur.

All the results from round 18:

GÍ Gøta - Skála 1-4 (1-1)
1-0 Bjarni Jørgensen 2'
1-1 Pól Arni Jacobsen 37'
1-2 Bogi Gregersen 48'
1-3 Rúni Rasmussen 61'
1-4 Jónhard Frederiksberg 88'

NSÍ Runavík - KÍ Klaksvík 1-0 (1-0)
1-0 Páll M. Joensen 18'

EB/Streymur - VB Vágur 6-1 (5-0)
1-0 Sorin Anghel 7'
2-0 Sorin Anghel 14'
3-0 Bárður Olsen 17'
4-0 Sonni L. Petersen 24'
5-0 Hans Pauli Samuelsen 40'
6-0 Sonni L. Petersen 52'
6-1 Poul N. Poulsen 86'

TB Tvøroyri - ÍF Fuglafjørður 0-1 (0-1)
1-0 Høgni Zachariassen 15'

HB Tórshavn - B36 Tórshavn 1-1 (0-0)
1-0 Vagnur Mohr Mortensen 54'
1-1 Óbi 72'

| Faroese Soccer | Table | Fixtures/Results | Top Scorers |
| Home of Soccer and Equipment |

Share this page: