June 09, 2014:
Round 12 of the premier division "Effodeildin":

HB Tórshavn - EB/Streymur 1-2 (0-0)
1-01 Johan Troest Davidsen
1-1 Egil á Bø
1-2 Niels Pauli Danielsen

HB seemed to have overcome a foolish red card before the hour-mark as they took the lead with 10-men after 67 minutes, but EB/Streymur turned it around in the last quarter of an hour to win 2-1.

EB/Streymur was the better team for long periods of the game, although HB dominated in the opening 10 minutes, but when EB/Streymur right back Jónas Tór Næs then was substituted by central midfielder Høgni Madsen, EB/Streymur took over and created several huge scoring opportunities in the first half. But twice Teitur Gestsson proved why he is the best goalkeeper in the Faroese league, and in one incident Niels Pauli Danielsen’s first touch let him down when he otherwise would have been completely clear with only the goalkeeper to beat.

HB had to decent opportunities though; once when Levi Hanssen was at the end of the flat cross from Kristin R. Mouritsen but steered wide from close range and the other opportunity came from a corner when centre back Johan Troest Davidsen had a free sight of goal, but shot straight at EB/Streymur goalkeeper René Tórgarð.

HB was then reduced to 10 men some ten minutes through the second half, when Heini Vatnsdal in retaliation planted his foot firmly in the body of Madsen who maybe should have received a yellow card himself for his infringement that ignited Vatnsdal’s rage – but lucky for Madsen who got the yellow card later in the match.

However, EB/Streymur failed to take advantage of the situation as they had their dullest period of the match while HB seemed inspired.

And HB also went ton to take the lead from the corner where Davidsen headed home in the 68th minute.

HB then immediately came under pressure –whether it was because they retreated or if it was because EB/Streymur turned on the style can be discussed, but it took only 7 minutes to equalize as 40-year old centre back Egil á Bø was left unmarked just inside the penalty area to head powerfully into the top left corner.

And if á Bø’s goal was stunning, then Niels Pauli Danielsen’s winner after 81 minutes was breathtaking as the ball fell to him after a clever free kick combination, and from the edge of the penalty area he let fly straight into the far top corner.

In the dying moments Fróði Benjaminsen went ever so close for HB with a header, but just wide.

HB have looked vulnerable in the last couple of matches with forward Andrew av Fløtum sidelined through injury, and as also Christian R. Mouritsen - who played well in Andrew’s position in the cup semi-final on Thursday until he got injured after 15 minutes – is missing, HB find it difficult to create scoring opportunities.

And with an away match against 3rd placed NSÍ Runavík up next, HB could falter again and drop further behind leaders B36 Tórshavn who moved five points clear after today’s win over struggling Skála.

It should also be mentioned however, that also EB/Streymur were without their best forward today as Arnbjørn Hansen was injured.

KÍ Klaksvík - ÍF Fuglafjørður 4-0 (2-0)
1-0 Ndende Adama Guéye
2-0 Johan Jacobsen
3-0 Ísak Simonsen
4-0 Páll Klettskarð

Having recorded only a single point in their last five matches, KÍ finally got another win with an emphatic display against poor ÍF Fuglafjørður who haven’t won since round five.

Senegalese midfielder Ndende sent the home team on winning course after half an hour as he took advantage of a rebound following a corner.

Five minutes from the break right back Johan Jacobsen turned in another rebound after Rodrigo Silva’s initial strike on the post.

About a quarter of an hour before the end of normal time, Ísak Simonsen made it 3-0 with a fine shot from the distance, seven minutes after coming on.

Páll Klettskarð added a fourth goal in added time after Heðin á Lakjuni had made the heavy lifting.

AB Argir - Víkingur 0-3 (0-0)
0-1 Súni Olsen
0-2 Súni Olsen
0-3 Finnur Justinussen

After a sub-level performance in the first half, Víkingur improved in the second half and went two goals up through a brace from Súni Olsen – the first goal coming shortly after the break and the second 10 minutes from the end before Finnur Justinussen sealed the win shortly after.

Skála - B36 Tórshavn 0-3 (0-1)
0-1 Alex Mellemgaard
0-2 Jákup á Borg
0-3 Rasmus Dan Sørensen

B36 Tórshavn took full advantage of HB Tórshavn’s defeat to EB/Streymur to move five points clear with a 3-0 win over lowly Skála.

Skála fought well in the first half to keep B36 from chances, but just before the halftime whistle, Nigerian forward Adeshina Lawal set up right back Alex Mellemgaard for an easy finish.

Midway through the second half Pætur Dam Jacobsen’s mistake allowed  Jákup á Borg to sneak in-between to double B36’s lead and to move within two goals to equal John Petersen’s all-time scoring record of 143 goals in the Faroese top division.

In the closing stages, Rasmus Dan Sørensen made it 3-0.

As HB have another difficult match on away soil against NSÍ Runavík next Sunday, B36 could increase the 5-point gap even more as they take on B68 at home.

B68 Toftir – NSÍ Runavík 0-2 (0-0)
0-1 Andy Olsen
0-2 Árni Frederiksberg

Should NSÍ beat HB next Sunday, then they will only trail the current champions HB by two points. A little more than a week ago, it was an unthinkable scenario that they should be caught. However, should that happen, then B36 will be well on their way to the title as they will be 8 points clear at the top.  But that’s all speculation...

NSÍ took the lead just before the hour after a counterattack following a B68 free kick, where Andy Olsen was set up to score and 12 minutes from the end of normal time, Árni Frederiksberg was played clear to double the lead and cement the victory.

Faroe Islands Football | Fixtures/Results | Table | Top Scorers