May 31 & June 01, 2014:
Round 10 of the premier division "Effodeildin":

May 31

KÍ Klaksvík - Víkingur 2-4 (0-2)
0-1 Finnur Justinussen
0-2 Finnur Justinussen
1-2 Páll Klettskarð
1-3 Heðin Hansen
2-3 Ndende Adama Guéye
2-4 Súni Olsen

Having been two goals up at half-time, Víkingur were hauled back twice to only a single goal lead, but Víkingur kept their cool though and prevailed 4-2 in the end against 10-men KÍ.

Finnur Justinussen had scored a brace in the first half; one within the first five minutes and the second around the  half-hour.

But KÍ came out strong in the second half and pulled a goal back through Páll Klettskarð's header after only three minutes. But the joy seemed short-lived, though, as Heðin Hansen restored Víkingur’s two-goal cushion four minutes later.

However, within three minutes, KÍ had reignited the excitement as Senegalese Ndende headed home from Hjalgrím Elttør’s free kick.

Víkingur had the chance to all but decide the contest midway through the half from the penalty spot, but Meinhardt Joensen saved from Súni Olsen’s attempt.

It served KÍ no good when Elttør was given the red card with 10 minutes remaining for an unwise second booking, as Víkingur with the man in advantage made it 4-2 few minutes later with a fabulous long range effort from Olsen to make up for his penalty-miss.

June 01

ÍF Fuglafjørður - HB Tórshavn 2-2 (2-2)
1-0 Karl Løkin
1-1 Christian R. Mouritsen
1-2 René S. Joensen
2-2 Frank Poulsen

It was against the run of play – or at least possession, as HB hadn’t created many scoring opportunities – when ÍF took the lead after 29 minutes after HB carelessly had given away the ball.  Karl Løkin’s low shot looked harmless at first, but as it took a deflection off the defender, it deceived goalkeeper Teitur Gestsson who could do little but watch the ball go in.

But HB drew level within two minutes from a corner from Christian R. Mouritsen which he curled directly into the net.

And it took HB just four more minutes to take the lead from a free kick where Rógvi Holm headed back in front of goal where René S. Joensen, who was playing on top instead of the injured Andrew av Fløtum, steered in from close range.

However, ÍF managed to restore parity a couple of minutes before the break when Frank Poulsen’s shot – which again look harmless at first – took a wicked deflection of the defender to deceive the helpless goalkeeper once again.

The second half was a dull affair and even affair during the first quarter of an hour, but eventually HB started to build some pressure, but found it difficult to penetrated ÍF’s defence however, not least because the crosses and passes lacked quality – mainly precision.

HB’s closest attempt was from a corner, but Vatnsdal headed the golden opportunity narrowly over the bar. A couple of other headers and danger from crosses was all HB had, and in the end it was a well deserved draw for ÍF.

HB are clearly missing Andrew av Fløtum in attack, but HB should maybe praise themselves that it was ÍF’s deputy goalkeeper who had released the half-injured Jákup Mikkelsen for today’s match because it’s questionable whether Mikkelsen would have conceded both of the goals that HB got from set-pieces.

That said, Mikkelsen did actually come on for the second part of the second half to replace Hallgrím G. Hansen who had become a bit groggy in a collision with a HB forward.

B36 Tórshavn - AB Argir 1-1 (1-0)
1-0 Adeshina Laval (pen)
1-1 Hørður Mohr

AB responded in the best way after their humiliating 7-0 defeat a week ago with a fully deserved draw against league leaders B36.

AB had had the better opportunities in the first half, but B36 got out of jail in first half’s added time as they were awarded a penalty when AB goalkeeper floored Adeshine Lawal who had been played clear by Lukasz Cieslewicz. Lawal safely converted from the penalty spot.

But the underdogs found the equalizer a couple of minutes before the hour-mark when Hørður Mohr headed home from a corner.

AB went close twice in the dying minutes to snatch victory through Jóan Símun Edmundsson, but in the fits incident B36 goalkeeper Jákup Højgaard, who had replaced an injured Tórður Thomsen at half-time, saved from the clear forward, and in the second incident, Edmundsson hit the joint of post and crossbar.

NSÍ Runavík - Skála 6-1 (5-1)
1-0 Árni Frederiksberg
1-1 Brian Jacobsen
2-1 Klæmint Olsen
3-1 Árni Frederiksberg
4-1 Árni Frederiksberg
5-1 Owngoal (Petur Pauli Mikkelsen)
6-1 Magnus Olsen

NSÍ continued where they left off against AB a week ago as they put six behind Skála today.

Although it looked encouraging for Skála when Brian Jacobsen after 20 minutes cancelled out Árni Frederiksberg’s goal directly from a free kick 10 minutes earlier, it was just a “quiet before storm”- moment for Skála.

And that moment lasted only four minutes as Klæmint Olsen regained the lead for NSÍ with a header from Andy Olsen’s cross from the right.

Árni Frederiksberg is one of the best strikers of the ball in the Faroes, so it is not just coincident or luck when he scored directly from the corner to make it 3-1 after 30 minutes before he completed his hat trick five minutes later.

Ólavur Mikkelsen then had the chance to pull goal back for Skála, but he missed from the penalty spot as he hit the post, and instead Skála made an owngoal just moments later to make it 5-1 for NSÍ at half-time.

NSÍ slowed down a bit in the second half and scored only one goal - Magnus Olsen 10 minutes through the half.

EB/Streymur - B68 Toftir 3-0 (1-0)
1-0 Hans Pauli Samuelsen
2-0 Hans Pauli Samuelsen
3-0 Leif Niclasen

EB/Streymur took an early lead through a Hans Pauli Samuelsen volley and could have score more in the first half as they created the chances. 

But EB/Streymur rode their luck as B68 missed from the penalty spot late in the second half as Óli Olsen shot wide. Olsen was the one who had won them the penalty, and isn’t there a theory about that…?

Anyway, the penalty misses were lining up as too few had been missed before today’s matches. The miss percentage before today matches was only 13.3 which is way below average. After today's three penalties that percentage went up to 22.2 which is still under the usual pathetic average which some years has been close to 40% although last year’s percentage was relatively good; only 23,6% missed penalties.

- But back to the match again where B68 had little to offer in the second half too, and after 72 minutes Samuelsen scored his second goal of the afternoon before Leif Niclasen made it 3-0 towards the end.

Faroe Islands Football | Fixtures/Results | Table | Top Scorers