EB/Streymur claim the
2012 Faroese league title

October 06, 2012:
Round 27 of the premier league "effodeildin":

EB/Streymur - NSÍ Runavík 3-2 (2-1)
1-0 Arnbjørn Hansen
1-1 Debes Danielsen
2-1 Arnbjørn Hansen
3-1 Pætur Dam Jacobsen
3-2 Jens Joensen

EB/Streymur claimed the 2012 Faroese league title with a hard-fought win over NSÍ Runavík.

In 2006, EB/Streymur only needed a point against KÍ Klaksvík on the last day of the season to claim the title, but it all went horribly wrong when they were beaten by an 84th minute goal to surrender the title to HB Tórshavn.

And when NSÍ striker Klæmint Olsen today got clear in the opening minutes, it surely gave the EB/Streymur supporters flashback from that horrible day six years ago, but they were relieved to see Olsen squander the glorious opportunity to take the lead.

And the worst nerves were settled just a minute after when Hans Pauli Samuelsen played striker Arnbjørn Hansen clear to bring EB/Streymur in front.

But it today’s match wasn’t a day for the fainthearted as NSÍ restored parity midway through the half with a fine shot from Debes Danielsen. And later, Olsen again squandered another superb scoring opportunity to bring NSÍ in front.

Instead it was Hansen who gave EB/Streymur the lead on the stroke of half-time when NSÍ reserve goalkeeper Pætur Høj failed to collect a high cross that fell to the striker who poked home.

And within a couple of minutes from the restart of the second half, EB/Streymur opened up a two-goal cushion when a clear Pætur Dam Jacobsen slotted home after a cross.

EB/Streymur looked on control from now on, but with 10 minutes remaining, Jens Joensen pulled a goal back for NSÍ to set up a thrilling finale.

However, EB/Streymur held on to the win which was enough to secure them the 2012 title; the second in their history, winning it in 2008 also.

ÍF Fuglafjørður - HB Tórshavn 0-0

ÍF had to rely on help from NSÍ Runavík to overtake in order to overtake EB/Streymur, but they also had to beat HB, which they failed.

The match was a very even affair with few scoring opportunities.

HB got close a couple of time early on after some neat combinations, but missed the final touch to get a shot in and therefore never tested Jákup Mikkelsen in the ÍF goal - in the entire 90 minutes in fact, although they had some shooting opportunities in the latter part of the match.

ÍF had the best opportunity in the first half from an overhead kick from Clayton Soares after HB goalkeeper Teitur Gestsson's poor punch had provided him with the opportunity.

ÍF also was closest in the second half when Jan Ellingsgaard's header was cleared off the line by Tróndur Jensen.

During the last 10 minutes of the match HB frequented ÍF's penalty area on several occasions, but – as mentioned - never managed to test Jákup Mikkelsen, however, partially because of poor finishing.

A draw - and a scoreless one - probably summed the match up quite well.

With the one point, HB stay ahead of KÍ Klaksvík on goal difference and get the European birth and 3rd place in the table.

ÍF finish the season in second place.

TB Tvøroyri - B68 Toftir 1-4 (0-0)
1-0 Dimitrije Jankovic
1-1 Jann Ingi Petersen (pen)
1-2 Einar Hansen
1-3 Haraldur R. Højgaard
1-4 Einar T. Hansen

B68’s task of winning by four goals in order to avoid relegation looked like mission impossible before the match, but in the end, B68 were only a whisker from accomplishing just that.

But nothing suggested the thrilling finale to the match – and the relegation battle as a whole – when Dmitrije Jankovic put TB ahead following a free kick just before the hour-mark.

But when Jann Ingi Petersen levelled for B68 on a penalty 10 minutes later, it was as TB panicked, and four minutes later, Einar Hansen brought B68 in front.

With five minutes remaining of normal time, Haraldur Højgaard made it 3-1 and in the first minute of stoppage time Hansen scored his second goal of the day to make it 4-1.

B68 now only needed one goal to survive, but TB held out in the remaining minutes of stoppage time.

But it was mighty close in the end; both teams having the same number of points and goal difference, but as TB have scored 30 goals during the season compared to B68’s only 23, it will be B68 who get relegated.

Good for TB, who have several youngsters on their way, and if they survive another year – and they should have a good chance against 07 Vestur and AB Argir next year – they could have a decent team in two years if they can keep those talented players of which four have just been with the Faroese U19 team to the qualification tournament for the European championships.

B68 should make a quick return to the top flight.

KÍ Klaksvík - FC Suðuroy 7-1 (1-0)
1-0 Andy Olsen
2-0 Henry Heinesen
3-0 Páll Klettskarð (pen)
4-0 Petur Andreasen
5-0 Andy Olsen
6-0 Páll Klettskarð
6-1 Owngoal
7-1 Páll Klettskarð

KÍ would only qualify for Europe if HB were beaten by ÍF Fuglafjørður, and therefore it helped little that KÍ thrashed FC Suðuroy 7-1.

But nothing suggested such a score-line after the first 45 minutes which KÍ won 1-0 by Andy Olsen’s 9th minute strike.

But when Henry Heinsesen made it 2-0 five minutes through the second half, the floodgates opened. Páll Klettskarð on penalty and Petur Andreasen made it 3-0 and 4-0 before Olsen scored his second goal of the game to make it 5-0 in the 84th minute.

The last three minutes of the match saw three goals; first Klettskarð again for KÍ before Tórur Justesen was noted for an owngoal, and in stoppage time Klettskarð completed his hat trick which makes him joint top scorer with Clayton Soares with 22 goals each.

FC Suðuroy only managed 9 points which is the lowest tally since the league was expanded to 27 rounds in 2005.

B36 Tórshavn - Víkingur 1-1 (0-1)
0-1 Evrard Ble
1-1 Atli Danielsen (pen)

Having been leading the table after the first third of the competition, Víkingur will not be quite content by slipping to 5th place in the end after a 1-1 draw with B36 today, although they have the same number of points as 3rd and 4th placed HB and KÍ.
Ivorian midfielder Evrard Ble gave Víkingur the lead in the 37 minute, but B36 equalized on a penalty from Atli Danielsen early in the second half.

Faroe Islands Football | Fixtures/Results | Table | Top Scorers