September 15 & 16, 2012:
Round 24 of the premier league "effodeildin":

September 15:

B36 Tórshavn - FC Suðuroy 3-1 (1-1)
1-0 Jákup á Borg
1-1 John Tordar Poulsen
2-1 Karl Martin Danielsen
3-1 Lukasz Cieslewicz

Although it has been absolutely certain for a long time that FC Suðuroy would be relegated, it didn’t become official until today as they now mathematically cannot reach the 8th place in the table.

After Jákup á Borg had given B36 the lead midway through the first half, John Tordar Poulsen restored parity 10 minutes later with his 6th goal of the season.

Although B36 had most of the possession, they had to wait until 10 minutes were remaining before the managed to regain the lead when 17-year old defender Karl Martin Danielsen headed home from a corner to score his first goal for the senior team.

Five minutes later Polish striker Lukasz Cieslewicz made it 3-1 to cement the win for B36.

September 16

ÍF Fuglafjørður - NSÍ Runavík 3-1 (0-0)
1-0 Clayton Soares
2-0 Clayton Soares
3-0 Clayton Soares
3-1 Pól Jóhannus Justinussen

A second-half hat trick from Brazilian talisman Clayton Soares – his third of the season –lifted ÍF to the top of the table where it looks like a victory over HB Tórshavn in the last match of the season will secure ÍF the title. Their next matches are on away soil against B68 Toftir and FC Suðuroy and should not be too problematic, and then ÍF will become champions if they beat HB on 6 October.

Today ÍF had to be patient as NSÍ defended well and kept tight at the back during the first 45 minutes, but within 7 minutes of the second half, Soares broke the deadlock as he was set up by Dánjal á Lakjuni on the right.

NSÍ were awarded a penalty only moments later as the referee had spotted handling in the area, but Klæmint Olsen hit wide of Jákup Mikkelsen’s goal from the spot.

A quarter of an hour later Soares had completed his hat trick, the first with a header after a long ball forward from Høgni Madsen and the second with yet another header from another assist from á Lakjuni.

Ten minutes from time Pól Jóhannus Justinussen scored a consolation goal for NSÍ.

So, will ÍF keep their cool against bottom teams B68 Toftir and FC Suðuroy? And will they then beat HB in the last round to clinch the title? Or will ÍF get help from neighbours and arch rivals Víkingur next Sunday to virtually secure ÍF the title by beating EB/Streymur?

EB/Streymur - KÍ Klaksvík 1-1 (1-0)
1-0 Arnbjørn Hansen
1-1 Andy Olsen

The problem when scoring in the first minute is that the opponent has a whole 89 minutes to find an equalizer.

That’s what happed for EB/Streymur who scored in the first minute after a long throw-in where Arnbjørn Hansen was on the spot to shoot the home-team into the lead.

EB/Streymur continued to create scoring opportunities, but eventually KÍ worked their way into the game and started threatening at the other end and around the hour-mark, the hard work paid dividend when Andy Olsen scored on a rebound from EB/Streymur goalkeeper René Tórgarð who had made an initial save from Páll Klettskarð.

Both teams could have snatched the winning goal in the last minutes of the game, but it stayed at 1-1 which means that EB/Streymur drop to second lace in the table, equal on points with ÍF Fuglafjørður who have a superior goal difference that will not be caught.

EB/Streymur will therefore need help from others in order to overtake ÍF again. It’s unlikely that they will get that help from B68 Toftir and FC Suðuroy, who ÍF visit next, but EB/Streymur will hope that HB Tórshavn can do some damage in the last game of the season when they visit ÍF.

But before that EB/Streymur will have to beat Víkingur next Sunday just to stay in the hunt. That could prove to be a difficult match as Víkinfur have already beaten EB/Streymur 3 out of 4 times this season (one of those wins was the cup final).

EB/Streymur’s last match of the season at home against NSÍ Runavík could also become tricky.

TB Tvøroyri - Víkingur 2-2 (2-2)
1-0 Gilli Sørensen
1-1 Kaj Leo í Bartalsstovu
1-2 Owngoal
2-2 Gilli Sørensen

TB grabbed a point that could prove to be priceless in the end in the battle for avoiding relegation. The point means now that B68 – should they not get any extremely unexpected point against ÍF Fuglafjørður and EB/Streymur – will have to beat TB on the last day of the competition to avoid relegation.

TB took an early lead through golden boy Gilli Sørensen who fired the ball into the back of the net from long range after a surging run.

Víkingur levelled the match midway through the second half with an easy side-foot finish from Kaj Leo í Bartalsstovu.

Víkingur then went ahead in the 37th minute when Óli Johannesen was noted for an owngoal under pressure from Hjartvard Hansen, but the joy was short-lived for Víkingur as TB equalized the minute after with another fine shot from Sørensen.

Víkingur dominated most of the second half, but failed to penetrate TB’s defence.

At the moment, TB looks like the stronger team compared to B68, and TB will fancy their chances for a win when they visit NSÍ Runavík next Sunday.

HB Tórshavn - B68 Toftir 4-0 (0-0)
1-0 Rógvi Poulsen
2-0 Kristin R. Mouritsen
3-0 Christian R. Mouritsen
4-0 Kristin R. Mouritsen

B68 had come to Gundadalur to defend the point they had when the match started. Although they were extremely poor – and clearly the worst team that has visited Gundalur except from FC Suðuroy – they so nearly took the lead on the stroke of half time in their only effort in the first 45 minutes. The HB goalkeeper, who today was Símun Rógvi Hansen, mad a poor punch of a high ball which fell to Ndende Adama Guéye who had the goal at his mercy, but fired straight on the goalkeeper before the rebound went just centimetres wide of the post.

HB should then have been leading with several goals. The first should have come in the first 10 seconds when Rókur v Fløtum Jespersen was played clear, but he squandered the opportunity.

Krisitin R. Mouritsen was unlucky when his thunderous shot hit the corner of the woodwork, and elder brother Christian R. Mouritsen and Símun Samuelsen should also have scored from good positions in the penalty area, but Mouritsen shot wide while B68 goalkeeper Hans Jørgensen saved Samuelsen’s attempt.

HB finally managed to break the deadlock 7 minutes through the second half when Tríndur Jensen’s through-ball played Rógvi Poulsen clear just inside the penalty area, and he turned and fired past the B68 goalkeeper.
The floodgates then opened and HB score three more in 16 minutes.

Kristin R. Mouritsen scored in off the post when he picked up a rebound from a corner just outside the penalty area before Símun Samuelsen played the elder Mouritsen brother, Christian, clear, a bit to the left, to make it 3-0, although Jørgensen got a touch on the ball.

Two minutes later, in the 68th minute, HB made it 4-0 after a beautiful move which involved about 4 players who combined through the B68 defence with one-two’s to play Kristin Mouritsen clear for an easy finish.

Símun Samuelsen then had two opportunities where he should have scored, but both were wasted.

After that, the match died, and except from a useful effort from Bjarki Johannesen that forced the HB goalkeeper to make a diving save, the rest of the match had nothing worth to write home about.

HB are not quite given up on the Europa League spot yet, but they are trailing 3rd place KÍ by 4 points. And KÍ must be expected to pick up at least 3 points in their remaining fixtures, and should they earn 4 points, HB will have to win all of their remaining 3 matches, including ÍF on the last day of the season, in order to overcome KÍ. But should KÍ win two matches, the HB are out of Europe.

B68’s fate is likely to be decided in the last match of the season where they will have to beat TB to avoid relegation, unless B68 make what will be the upset of the competition should they beat ÍF or EB/Streymur.

Faroe Islands Football | Fixtures/Results | Table | Top Scorers