September 02, 2012:
Round 22 of the premier league "effodeildin":

EB/Streymur - HB Tórshavn 3-2 (1-2)
0-1 Fróði Benjaminsen
0-2 Fróði Benjaminsen (pen)
1-2 Gert Hansen
2-2 Egil á Bø
3-2 Egil á Bø

Despite the windy conditions, EB/Streymur and HB put on a fine show in a dramatic thriller where EB/Streymur came from two goals down to win 3-2 in the end to stay two points clear on top of the table while HB’s slim chances of a comeback in the title race are definitely over.

HB started brightly as they took full advantage of the wind in their back, and only a fine save from René Tórgarð denied a clear Rókur av Fløtum Jespersen giving HB the lead, and a few minutes later, Fróði Benjaminsen had an effort on the crossbar.

But Benjaminsen wasn’t to be denied after 8 minutes when Símun Samuelsen speeded down the left and squared the ball to Benjaminsen who came surging and rifled past Tórgarð.

Benjaminsen doubled HB’s lead after a quarter of an hour from a penalty from Fróði Benjaminsen, after the referee blew for hands.

EB/Streymur visited around HB’s penalty area occasionally, but failed to test Teitur Gestsson in the HB-goal, mainly because the final delivery lacked quality.

But with 7 minutes remaining of the first half, HB broke the rule of thumb; that you don’t concede when you have the strong wind in your back. EB/Streymur took a long throw in that was extended and fell to a clear Gert Hansen who fired the ball into the back of the net. The would prove to be costly for HB.

EB/Streymur was much the better team in the second half where HB found it very difficult playing in the strong headwind, and it didn’t help HB that they had lost Andrew av Fløtum - who is master of keeping on to the ball - after half an hour through injury.

The equalizer was constantly looming as EB/Streymur put HB under heavy pressure; threatening crosses were coming in from both sides and shots and headers were going narrowly wide or high, and on other occasions Gestsson made the crucial save.

But midway through the second half, Christian R. Mouritsen should have made the points safe for HB when he brilliantly carved his way through the EB/Streymur defence to get clear with Tórgarð, who he also beat, but only to see the shot go wide of the left post.

HB had a couple of other chances; av Fløtum Jespersen shot just wide after the ball fell to him from a corner, and from another corner also Benjaminsen forced Tórgarð to make another great save to deny HB.

But EB/Streymur continued to threaten at the other end, and with 12 minutes remaining of normal time, EB/Streymur introduced Egil á Bø to the game to play as a forward. 38 year old á Bø who has been out injured for several games and also missed the cup final because of it, is usually a defender, but was a forward in his younger days. Those skills have apparently not been forgotten as he had levelled the game with a header 5 minutes after he had come on.

Moments after, HB very lucky to see Sorin Anghel’s header smash against the crossbar, but they had run out of luck in added time when á Bø clinched the winner on a rebound after an initial save from Gestsson.

So it was “Veni, Vidi, Vici” for Egil á Bø while HB’s desperate hope of becoming part of the title race has now vanished for good as they now trail EB/Streymur by 10 points instead of 4 had they won. Also a European spot can now become difficult to reach as they trail Víkingur and KÍ by 5 points.

TB Tvøroyri - ÍF Fuglafjørður 1-2 (0-1)
0-1 Clayton Soares
0-2 Clayton Soares
1-2 Óli johannesen

TB's misery continues and they have now only earned 1 point from their last 7 matches since the summer break. ÍF's form is quite the opposite as they have harvested 22 points from their last possible 25 and are trailing table toppers EB/Streymur by only 2 points.

After TB had hit the upright almost immediately after the start of the match, Brazilian striker Clayton Soares made it 1-0 for the visitors after only 3 minutes.

ÍF was the better team for the most of the match and made it 2-0 midway through the second half; again thanks to Soares.

But TB were back in the game just a couple of minutes later when veteran defender Óli Johannesen pulled a goal back directly on free kick.

However, ÍF managed to hold tight at the back to bag another 3 points.

Next round could be fatal for TB if they lose away to KÍ Klaksvík and B68 win away to FC Suðuroy. TB would then drop 4 points behind B68.

Víkingur – FC Suðuroy 3-1 (2-1)
1-0 Hjartvard Hansen
2-0 Sølvi Vatnhamar
2-1 Heini Vatnsdal
3-1 Kaj Leo í Bartalsstovu

After a quick lead through Hjartvard Hansen and another one on a solo effort from Sølvi Vatnhamar midway through the first half, Víkingur were a bit shaken when Heini Vatnsdal pulled a goal back within 3 minutes with a thunderous shot. But víkingur weren’t stirred, however, and midway through the second half Kaj Leo í Bartalsstovu made the points safe for Víkingur who still hang in there, 5 points behind the leaders.

KÍ Klaksvík – NSÍ Runavík 2-1 (0-0)
0-1 Klæmint Olsen
1-1 Páll Klettskarð
1-2 Páll Klettskarð

After stalemate in 74 minutes, the game suddenly burst into life with three goals in six minutes.

First it was klæmint Olsen who put NSÍ into the lead, but within six minutes Páll Klettskarð had scored twice for KÍ to turn the match on its head.

Five points adrift of the leaders, KÍ are still in with a fighting chance of the title, but they will be well satisfied with a Europa League spot next season.

B36 Tórshavn - B68 Toftir 1-0 (0-0)
1-0 Lukasz Cieslewicz

It was a dull affair, and maybe that was expected as very few people had attended the match. After 70 minutes of dullness, Polish striker Lukasz Cieslewicz won the game for B36 with a terrific shot from the edge of the penalty area.

B68 will look forward to their next match away to FC Suðuroy where they will fancy their chances for a win and the possibility to break 4 points clear of TB Tvøroyri.

Faroe Islands Football | Fixtures/Results | Table | Top Scorers