May 28, 2008: Round 09 of the Formula Division:

HB Tórshavn - ÍF Fuglafjørður 3-2 (2-1)
0-1 Sasa Jovanovic
1-1 Christian Høgni Jacobsen
2-1 Andrew av Fløtum
3-1 Christian Høgni Jacobsen
3-2 Atli Petersen

In contrast to many teams who play very defensively when they visit HB, ÍF started very positively and attacked with many men, and this paid dividend after only 4 minutes when ÍF took the lead.

Bartal Eliasen thought he had scored when his freekick from 27 meters took a deflection off the HB-wall and dipped onto the roof of the net. Eliasen had already started the "airplane-celebration-dance" when he realised his effort had gone over the bar. But Eliasen's embarrassment only lasted for a few seconds, because from the following corner, the ball fell to Sasa Jovanovic who slotted home right in front of goal to give ÍF the lead.

After the first quarter of an hour, HB took over and had most of the possession. They hovered around ÍF's penalty area constantly and had regular finishes, mostly from long range. Christian Høgni Jacobsen, Andrew av Fløtum and Páll Mohr Joensen all had decent attempts.

But 25 minutes into the half, ÍF couldn't withstand the pressure anymore. Christian Høgni Jacobsen was fouled halfway into the ÍF-half. He took the freekick quickly himself to Pætur Jørgensen on the right who got towards the by-line and made perfect cross to Christian Høgni Jacobsen who was clear in front of goal to head in the equalizer.

Just after the half-hour mark, Andrew av Fløtum was played clear in the penalty area, where he had ages of time to put the ball behind Andras Gango in the ÍF goal for a 2-1 lead.

HB had been close to a third goal also, but twice in succession, ÍF cleared the ball off the line from HB's bombardment.

The second half continued where the first left off with HB in possession.

Chances were also created at regular intervals, but Andras Gango in the ÍF goal played a fine match and saved well several times, although some of the efforts had come from a somewhat tight angle.

ÍF rarely threatened at the other end, but on one occasion, goalkeeper Tróndur Vatnhamar had to dive to keep out the shot from the distance.

But about half an hour through the half, HB seemed to have won the match when Christian Høgni Jacobsen made it 3-1 after he had been played clear in the penalty area.

However, 4 minutes from time, Atli Petersen reduced the score with a well taken goal where he on the edge of the penalty area turned and struck the ball into the top corner.

However, ÍF didn’t get close to the equalizer and HB deservedly won the match.

B68 Toftir - B36 Tórshavn 0-1 (0-0)
0-1 Bergur Midjord

B36 are holding tight to the 3rd spot in the table, and with their win over B68 today, their grip got even stronger.

Few scoring opportunities had been created during the match, and it seemed to be heading for a goalless draw, but just a few minutes before the final whistle, B36 countered and Bergur Midjord was played clear to snatch victory.

Skála - EB/Streymur 0-1 (0-1)
0-1 Hanus Eliasen

EB/Streymur didn't impress in any way, but they still got the 3 points.
– Maybe that is impressive after all…

Skála was generally the better team in the first half, but a couple of minutes before the interval they were caught on the break when Hanus Eliasen was played clear to put EB/Streymur ahead.

EB/Streymur improved slightly in the second half and had the better opportunities.

Top scorer Arbjørn Hansen wasn't feeling well before the match and was therefore rested on the bench for the entire match. Last week he was on a trial at Danish Superliga club OB Odense, and OB have just announced that they will not sign a contract with Hansen right now. EB/Streymur will be relieved.

B71 Sandoy - Víkingur 0-5 (0-2)
0-1 Sølvi Vatnhamar
0-2 Andreas Lava Olsen
0-3 Sølvi Vatnhamar
0-4 Magnus Skorðalíð
0-5 Martin Olsen

B71 got a real hammering this evening and the alarm-bells must now be ringing. The gap to safety is now 6 points. And B71's program: HB (h), EB/Streymur (a), NSÍ (h). All of them heavyweight opponents.

Víkingur's first-half goals today were scored by their youngsters Sølvi Vatnhamar and Andreas Lava Olsen, who both used to play for LÍF Leirvík, before the merger with GÍ Gøta.

Midway through the 2nd halfnd half, Vatnhamar added another before Magnus Skorðalíð and Martin Olsen completed the rout within the last 10 minutes.

KÍ Klaksvík - NSÍ Runavík 1-1 (0-1)
0-1 Øssur Dalbúð
1-1 Rodrigo

KÍ were close to taking the lead after 5 minutes, but NSÍ were saved by the post. Instead it was NSÍ who took the lead after some 20 minutes with a goal from Øssur Dalbúð after Hjalgrím Elttør had made the pre-work.

Time was running out and NSÍ were holding on to their lead when KÍ were awarded a free kick just outside the penalty area in a perfect position. And Brazilian Rodrigo executed the freekick to perfection when he curled it in for the equalizer.

This leaves last season's champions NSÍ a staggering 11 points adrift of table-toppers EB/Streymur. I think it's safe to say we'll have a new champion come November 25.

And as for KÍ, they don't really seem to be able to distance themselves from the relegation zone, although 4 points is a reasonable margin – for now.

| Faroese Soccer | Fixtures/Results | Table | Top Scorers |
| Home of Soccer and Equipment |

Share this page: