Cup winners 2009

July 29, 2009: The Cup Competition – The Final:

Víkingur – EB/Streymur 3-2 (1-1)
1-0 Hans Jørgen Djurhuus
1-1 Pauli G. Hansen
2-1 Andreas Lava Olsen
3-1 Finnur Justinussen
3-2 Arnbjørn Hansen

It was Víkingur (which means Viking) who drew first blood with an effort on the bar in the first minute of the match.

Víkingur was the more aggressive team in the opening minutes and after 6 minutes their early pressure paid off when Hans Jørgen Djurhuus around the penalty spot turned and fired Víkingur in front after a flat cross from Andreas Lava Olsen on the right.

After the goal, it was EB/Streymur who got the upper hand and it didn’t take long to force an equalizer. On 15 minutes Víkingur failed to clear a corner and Paulli G. Hansen fired the ball into the back of the net in off the post with a flat shot from the edge of the penalty area.

Víkingur then seized back the initiative and for the rest of the half it was Víkingur who was on the offensive, although they didn’t create clear-cut chances. Once Andreas Lava Olsen tried to catch EB/Streymur goalkeeper Gunnar á Steig off the line, but the keeper managed to tip the ball over the bar.

Only 2 minutes had been played of the second half when Víkingur regained the lead. Andreas Lava Olsen was played through and put the ball past the goalkeeper.

EB/Streymur regrouped again and managed to put a lot of pressure on Víkingur for most of the second half. In periods EB/Streymur played extremely well with quick combinations – almost as the EB/Streymur we saw a couple of years ago – but they failed to create clear-cut scoring opportunities to properly test Geza Turi in the Víkingur goal.

On the other hand Víkingur had two clear-cut chances to further increase their lead midway through the second half. In both cases it was Andreas Lava Olsen who used his speed and strength to get clear of the EB/Streymur defence.

In the first incident Lava Olsen raced past EB/Streumur’s right back to get into the penalty area to shoot from a slightly acute angle, but Gunnar á Steig stretched to make a fabulous one handed save to deny Lava Oslen.

And moments later Lava Olsen again had the chance to score when he got clear of Sorin Anghel who made a meal of the challenge, but á Steig made another fine save from Lava Olsen’s lob.

With 3 minutes left of normal time, it looked game over as Finnur Justinussen made it 3-1 with a header from a Súni Olsen corner. But when Arnbjørn Hansen pulled one back just a couple of minutes later when he got clear in the penalty area, nothing was decided yet as the referee added 4 minutes of stoppage time.

Víkingur were under heavy pressure in these 4 minutes, but it was close but no cigar for EB/Streymur as Víkingur win their first ever Cup after the club was founded less than two years ago with the merger of GÍ Gøta and LÍF Leirvík.

Faroese Soccer main-page
Home of Soccer and Equipment

Share this page: