June 10, 2009: World Cup 2010 Qualifier, Group 7:

The Faroe Islands rue missed 1st half opportunities as they lose 2-0 against Serbia who took the lead with a 44th minute goal.

Faroe Islands – Serbia 0-2 (0-1)
0-1 Jovanovic
0-2 Subotic

Although Serbia had a clear majority of the possession, the Faroe Island still created just as many scoring opportunities in the first half, and who knows what could have happened had Jóhan Troest Davisen put the Faroes ahead when he was played clear on the half hour mark. – Instead it was Serbia who took the lead a couple of minutes before half time and added a second goal a quarter of an hour into the second half, after the Faroes could have equalized 7 minutes earlier.

The first scoring opportunity of the match went to the Faroes after 4 minutes when Súni Olsen volleyed over from 10 metres after a fine cross from Bogi Løkin on the right.

Serbia went even closer the minute after when Zigic’s powerful header was stopped by the crossbar.

After 7 minutes Christian Lamhauge Holst was about to break clear in the Serbian penalty area but his shot was blocked in the same moment as he launched it.

Midway through the half, Faroese goalkeeper Jákup Mikkelsen made a fine one-handed save to deny Marko Pantelic’s long range effort.

31 minutes into the match, the Faroes should have taken the lead. Left back Jóhan Troest Davidsen who had come forward was brilliantly played through on the left by Símun Samuelsen, but clear with the Serbian goalkeeper, Troest Davidsen shot right on the keeper as he tried to curl it over to the far corner.

On 41 minutes both teams had decent chances to score. First, Súni Olsen released Símun Samuelsen on the left wing, but Samuelsen’s angle became acute and his attempted shot/cross went wide.

Just after, Mikkelsen saved a long range effort from Jovanovic.

But just as it looked like the Faroese were going to hold the Serbs from scoring in the first half, Jovanovic pulled the visitors ahead in two attempts after Mikkelsen had saved Jovanovic’s initial shot from close range.

Súni Olsen was close to getting the equalizer nine minutes into the second half when he received a pass from Símun Samuelsen, but Olsen’s shot from the edge of the penalty area went just wide of goal.

Instead it was Serbia who increased their lead 7 minutes later. The Faroes failed to properly clear the corner and when the second cross came, Subotic rose highest to score with a well placed header.

The Faroes had been rare guests on the Serbian half in the second half, and after the 2-0 goal, there was no power left in the Faroese batteries.

Serbia could have added to there score later, but a double save from Jákup Mikkelsen denied first Ivanovic’s long range shot before he saved Lazovic’s header from the rebound.

All results and table, group 7

| Faroese Soccer |
| Home of SoccerandEquipment |

Share this page: