September 04, 2015:
UEFA Euro 2016 Qualifier, Group F:

Stupid red card wrecks a likely draw for the Faroe Islands against Northern Ireland

Faroe Islands - Northern Ireland 1-3 (1-1)
0-1 Gareth McAuley
1-1 Jóan Símun Edmundsson
1-2 Gareth McAuley
1-3 Kyle Lafferty

The Faroe Islands were looking good for a draw when Jóan Símun Edmundsson went from hero to villain after an unnecessary tackle that brought him a second yellow card after 64 minutes which gave Northern Ireland the initiative back and five minutes later the lead also.

The Faroe Islands where overrun in the first twenty minutes of the match as they found it difficult to stop Northern Ireland’s simple play out on the wing and then in with the ball with high crosses. That was also the recipe for their opening goal, that came from a free kick which must have been one of the tiniest ever given on Tórsvøllur Stadium where Gilli Sørensen’s sliding tackle on the ball surprisingly was deemed illegal. From the cross, Gareth McAuley headed the visitors into the lead as he managed to keep both centre backs behind him.

After 20 minutes the Faroe Islands eventually managed to stitch some passes together and eventually started to threaten up front, although not having real finishing attempts.  

And it was after a half-chance that the Faroe Islands got the equalizer from a long throw-in which Northern Ireland failed to clear properly, and Sonne Ragnar Nattestad managed to win the ball back in the penalty area and flicked it over to Edmundsson who finished clinically. 

The start of the second half was reminiscent to the first half where Northern Ireland dominated, but eventually, the Faroe Islands got into their strides again and looked to be in control when Edmundsson’s unnecessary tackle on the visitors half cost him the red card. 

The match turned instantly and the Faroes were pushed back, and five minutes later Northern Ireland had regained their lead. Again it seemed like a harsh given free kick that the referee once more penalized Sørensen for, but again it was punished brutally as McAuley won the duel inside the goal area to head home. 

The Faroese tanks were empty, and just four minutes later, Kyle Lafferty made it 3-1 after some digging in the goal area and unconvincing Faroese defending. 

A bitter blow for the Faroese team that had the draw within sight. 

On Monday already, Finland, who beat Greece on away soil this evening, host to the Faroe Islands who will miss suspended forward Jóan Símun Edmundsson.

| Faroese Soccer |
| Home of SoccerandEquipment |