After holding Ireland for 45 minutes, the Faroe Islands’ hard work was wrecked by an Irish wonder- strike in the first minute of the second half, as Ireland went on to win 4-1 in the end

September 16, 2012: World Cup 2014 Qualifier, Group C:

Faroe Islands - Ireland 1-4 (0-0)
0-1 Marc Wilson
0-2 Jonathan Walters
1-2 Arnbjørn Hansen
1-3 Owngoal
1-4 Darren O'Dea

There wasn’t too much to choose between the two teams in the first half, although Ireland had a slide edge and also produced a couple of big scoring opportunities that the Faroes were lucky to survive.

After 12 minutes Keith Andrews got a free header from close range following a short corner, but the attempt went wide of the post in what looked like a certain goal.

Shortly after, the Faroes went close on a fast break when Daniel Udsen from long range tried to sneak the ball over the Irish goalkeeper who just got a slight to on it to prevent the ball from going into the far top corner.

After half an hour Ireland went close again following yet another short corner, but Andrews again squandered the opportunity.

10 minutes later, Jóan Símun Edmundsson had the best Faroese attempt when he got into a shooting position a bit to the left in the penalty area, but the shot was blocked to a corner.

But within a minute from the start of the second half, Ireland took the lead with a spectacular (deflected) long range effort from Marc Wilson, into the top left corner, having – too easily – glided past two defenders as he cut into the pitch from the left.

Ireland doubled their lead seven minutes later when Jonathan Walters headed in from Wilson’s cross.

A fine first half performance from the Faroes looked to have been ruined in the opening six minutes of the second half, but when Arnbjørn Hansen, who had come on seven minutes earlier, equalized with a header in the 67th minute after a fine cross from right back Jónas Tór Næs, the match looked wide open again.

But hope only lasted for four minutes for the Faroes as Pól Jóhannus Justinussen turned a cross into his own goal to make it 3-1 for Ireland.

Two minutes fro the end of normal time, Darren O'Dea headed cleanly in from a corner to seal the 4-1 win for Ireland.

| Faroese Soccer |
| Home of SoccerandEquipment |