March 25, 2012: The Cup competition, Quarter Finals

FC Suðuroy – B71 Sandoy 5-1
First division team B71 Sandoy, who have been moving up and down between the two best divisions in latter years, have a much weaker team this year, and it was therefore a big surprise when they were leading 1-0 at half-time thanks to Thomas Hans Rubeksen's goal midway through the half.

However, the main reason for the visitors’ lead was the strong wind they had in their back, and is was hardly playable at all, and they match was only allowed to go ahead because B71 had made the long journey to Vágur. Actually the wind was so strong that at flagstaff broke. A bit ironic, as 25 April is the official "flagday" (half-holiday) of the Faroe Islands, celebrating that the British as the first state officially recognised the Faroese flag that day in 1940.

As FC Suðuroy had the advantage of the wind in the second half, it was only a question of time until the home-team would get the equalizer. That time came on the hour-mark when John Tordar Poulsen made it 1-1, and just three minutes later Palli Augustinussen brought FC Suðuroy in front.

Another four minutes later Poulsen scored his second goal of the match to make it 3-1, this time from the penalty spot.

With another penalty, Poulsen completed his hat trick 12 minutes from time to make it 4-1 before B71 conceded once more, this time from an owngoal, to make it 5-1 to FC Suðuoy who thereby qualify for the semi-finals. With some help from a lucky draw against two second-tier teams, we might add.

KÍ Klaksvík – HB Tórshavn 3-5 after extra time
For the first time since 2008, HB have progressed to the semi-finals of the cup competition after a yet another stunning comeback as they were trailing by two goal at half-time, just like in the league against NSÍ Runavík last Saturday.

But it was very much KÍ who was the better team in the first half and it took only 6 minutes for Henry Heinesen to bring the home team in front with a downward header after a cross from left back Ísak Simonsen.

KÍ continued to dominate, and while HB rarely threatened the KÍ goal, KÍ created chances in masses at the other end, and twice HB were saved by the woodwork before KÍ's pressure paid dividend again in the 34th minute when Heinesen tucked the ball away after goalkeeper Teitur Gestsson failed to collect the corner.

But in the second half the roles had changed as it was now HB who completely dominated proceedings and with two goals in four minutes midway through the half were back on level terms. Fróði Benjaminsen scored the first on a rebound after Andras Gango in the KÍ goal had saved the initial header from Christian R. Mouritsen. The equalizer was credited as a Jógvan Isaksen-owngoal after a scramble where Gango had saved twice before the ball went in.

HB continued in the first period of extra time where they had left off in the second half of the ordinary match and within three minutes Andrew av Fløtum, who had come on in the second half, had put HB in front after Símun Samuelsen on the left had made most of the heavy lifting.

And just before extra time's half-time, Samuelsen made it 4-2 to HB with a fine chip over the goalkeeper after he had been played clear by Mouritsen's perfect through-ball.

KÍ had looked like a finished team, but they were far from done with, however, as they pored on the pressure in the second period of extra time and created chance after chance, and after five minutes substitute Johan Jacobsen pulled a goal back with a header after a cross from Andy Olsen on the left.

As KÍ threw caution to the wind in search for the equalizer, they were left vulnerable at the back, and were caught on the break with a couple of minutes remaining where Kristin R. Mouritsen, younger brother of Christian R. Mouritsen, rounded the goalkeeper to make it 5-3 and send HB through to the semi-finals.

AB Argir – EB/Streymur 1-3
EB/Streymur are on course for what could be their 6th cup final in succession after beating 1st division club AB Argir who are favourites to be promoted alongside 07 Vestur.

But there wasn’t much difference between the two sides in the first half, but the deadlock was finally broken right after the interval when Hans Pauli Samuelsen scored directly from a corner – at the near post.

In the 77th minute Leif Niclasen doubled the score after Arnar Dam had set him up with a cheeky back-heel and just three minutes later Sorin Anghel made it 3-0 to the visitors.

Martin Midjord scored a consolation goal for AB three minutes later.

B68 Toftir - Víkingur 1-2 after extra time
The first 90 minutes were uneventful and chances were few and far between. The most dramatic incident was when B68’s Remi Langgaard was shown directly red for saying something to the referee that he shouldn’t have said, just after he had received a yellow for committing a free kick.

However, it was 10-men B68 who took the lead in the first period of extra time when defender Niklas Joensen slotted home from Eiinar Hansen's free kick.

Time was running out for Víkingur, but in the 117th minute centre-back Atli Gregersen equalized as he took advantage of a rebound from B68 goalkeeper Hans Jørgensen, who had saved the initial shot from left back Hanus Jacobsen.

And a couple of minutes later, Gregersen sent Víkingur through to the semi-finals as he scored from the penalty spot after right back Bárður Hansen had gone down in the area.

The draw for the semi-finals will be made on Thursday evening, 26 April.

Faroe Islands Football homepage
Soccer and Equipment homepage

Share this page: