B36 Tórshavn win 3-0 away to Maltese champions Birkirkara FC

July 11, 2006: UEFA Champions League, 1st qualifying round, 1st leg:

Birkirkara FC – B36 Tórshavn 0-3 (0-2)
0-1 Amed Davy Sylla 14'
0-2 Amed Davy Sylla 32'
0-3 Hans Thorleifsson 90'

B36 Tórshavn got a perfect result from the away-tie with Maltese champions, Birkirkara FC, and only disaster can now stop B36 from qualifying to the second qualifying round of the Champions League where Turkish side Fenerbache is awaiting.

B36 made a dream start to the match when they took the lead 13 minutes into the game. Bergur Midjord broke free on the left hand side and crossed the ball to a clear Sylla who fired the ball into the net.

And just after half an hour, B36 doubled their lead. B36 took a long throw-in on the left to Fróði Benjaminsen, who extended the ball to Sylla, who headed in his second goal.

And in the dying moments, B36 made it 3-0 with a goal from Hanus Thorleifsson.

B36 play the return leg with Birkirkara at home on Tuesday, July 19, in Tórsvøllur Stadion in Tórshavn in the Faroe Islands.

2-2 Draw Earn B36 Tórshavn a Fenerbache Tie

July 19, 2006: UEFA Champions League, 1st qualifying round, 2nd leg:

B36 Tórshavn - FC Birkirkara 2-2 (1-0)
1-0 Klæmint Matras 44'
1-1 George Mallia 59'
2-1 Óbi 80'
2-2 Kenneth Scicluna 82'

With a commanding 3-0 away-win from the first leg, this evening's 2-2 draw against Birkirkara was enough to see B36 through to the second qualifying round of the UEFA Champions Leagues, where they'll meet Turkish side Fenerbache.

And on the night, B36 were never in any danger of conceding the 3 goal advantage. In the first half, B36 were totally in control, and Birkirkara never threatened the B36-goal.

The closest Birkirkara came in the first half, was when B36 almost made an owngoal after a Birkirkara-corner, which B36 goalkeeper Jákup Mikkelsen misjudged, but on the line, Hanus Thorleifsson saved the header from B36-captain, Klæmint Matras, which was going in the wrong direction!

The only other time the B36 goalkeeper was bothered in the first half, was from a long range effort, but although at full length, he was always in control of the shot.

Before that, B36 had had good opportunities themselves from Bergur Midjord, but in the end his shot was right on the keeper when he was in a good position in the penalty area, and especially youngster Johan Ellingsgaard went close, when a whole army of B36 players beat the offside trap, but his shot was curled into the side-netting when he had only the keeper to beat.

But just before the interval, B36 took a deserved lead from a corner, when Klæmint Matras was left unmarked and he headed the ball down into the Birkirkara goal.

For the first 10 minutes of the second half, B36 controlled matters with ease, but then somehow, B36 seemed to forget to concentrate for a while and aloud Birkirkara into the match, although it has to be said that B36's overall lead was never threatened.

But Birkirkara were given good scoring opportunities, and twice Jákup Mikkelsen had to come out of his goal to save from clear Birkirkara-players. But in the 59th minute, a Birkirkara's George Mallia was played free yet again, after B36 had given the ball away, and this time Jákup Mikkelsen wasn't able to prevent the equalizer.

Midway into the second half, B36's Mikkjal Thomassen was given the red card for a second bookable offense and he will therefore miss the upcoming tie with Fenerbache. Although it didn't affect today's game, it's a huge blow for B36 that they'll miss their engine on the midfield in the game against Fenerbache.

But however, with a man in deficit, B36 took the lead again 10 minutes from time, when Birkirkara had problems clearing the ball after a B36 attack. The ball was played back to Óbi in the penalty area and he turned around himself and fired the ball in the back of the net.

But just a couple of minutes later, B36 gave away an unnecessary free kick 10 meters outside the penalty area. Jákup Mikkelsen parried the shot, but Kenneth Scicluna was first on the rebound and levelled the score.

But before B36 had started the game again, goal scorer Scicluna was given a second yellow card for kicking the ball off he pitch, and then he had to follow the ball off the pitch. The ball was allowed to enter the pitch again though, but Scicluna wasn't, of course.

2-2 was the final result and B36 Tórshavn win 5-2 in aggregate and will play Fenerbache in Turkey in the second qualifying round on July 26. The return leg takes place in Tórshavn on August 1.

| Faroese Soccer |
| Home of SoccerandEquipment |

Share this page: