U21 Qualifying round
31 May 2011 19:00 (local time) - Gundadalur, Tórshavn

Faroe Islands rue missed
added-time penalty in stalemate
against Northern Ireland

Faroe Islands - Northern Ireland 0-0

The Faroe Islands had a glorious opportunity to grab an injury-time winner as they were awarded a penalty when forward Klæmint Olsen was brought down in the penalty area, after the hard-working Dánjal á Lakjuni on the right wing had done much of the spadework.

But Northern Ireland goalkeeper Conor Devlin saved the weak shot from Faroese captain Rógvi Holm.

But the miss must be described as a coaching mistake, as they admitted they had forgotten to select a penalty taker before the match.

Northern Ireland had been the better team in the first half an hour, and twice the Faroes saved off the line and in another attempt goalkeeper Kristian Joensen made an astonishing save with his leg to deny Josh Magennis who was one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

The last 15 minutes before the break were more even and the Faroe Islands had two qualified attempts on free kicks from Gunnar Zachariasen.

The Faroes came storming out of the blocks in the second half and put Northern Ireland under sustained pressure.

Left back Jan Ellinigsgaard was superb when he got to the by-line to make a cross that was only half-cleared to Zachariasen just outside the goal-area, but with the goal at his mercy, he fired a metre wide.

The pressure then wore off after a quarter of an hour and Northern Ireland started creating chances at the other end. A header went narrowly wide, and a couple of times the finish was right on the Faroese goalkeeper.

With 10 minutes Faroese left wing Kaj Leo í Bartalsstovu cut into the penalty area, but with a free sight of goal, he blasted the ball high and wide.

With a couple of minutes remaining, only am incredible save from the Faroe Islands goalkeeper denied Liam Boyce from giving Northern Ireland the lead.

The last 5-7 minutes of the game were played frantically and chances were created at both ends.

On one occasion, the Faroes were 3 against 2, but in the end the shot from á Lakjuni was from an acute angle and too easy for the goalkeeper to block. Before that, right back Høgni Eysturoy had also seen his cross land on the crossbar.

And as mentioned, in added time, the Froe Islands missed a penalty to take the victory.

Group 4 results and table

U21 Qualifying round
10 August 2011 14:00 (local time) - The Oval - Belfast

Faroe Islands downed 4-0
by Northern Ireland
who score three in seven minutes

Northern Ireland - Faroe Islands 4-0 (3-0)
1-0 Billy Kee 25'
2-0 Billy Kee 29'
3-0 Josh Magennis 32'
4-0 Billy Kee 75'

A repeat of the home-draw a couple of months ago was never in sight for the Faroese team after a lacklustre performance in Belfast.

Northern Ireland set the tone from the start and took the lead after 25 minutes with a goal from their captain, Billy Kee.

Kee was at it again just four minutes later to double the lead with a shot from the distance.

The Faroese defence was all over the place in this period and three minutes later Josh Magennis netted Northern Ireland’s third goal in the space of just 7 minutes.

Magennis could have added his second just a few minutes later, but goalkeeper Teitur Gestsson saved from the clear forward.

In the second half the home team seemed to have taken the foot of the pedal, knowing the job was done.

But Kee should have completed his hat trick after 72 minutes as he had an open goal at his mercy, but his finish from just outside the penalty area went wide.

However, Kee wasn’t to be robbed of his hat trick as he made it 4-0 with a lob three minutes later.

The Faroe Islands had a few attempts after James Knowles had been sent off for Northern Ireland after 79 minutes, but goalkeeper Conor Devlin kept his sheet clean and made a super save to deny Rógvi Holm just after the red card.

Northern Ireland could also have added to their tally, but Gestsson made a couple of excellent saves.

The Faroe Islands next game is away to Serbia on 6 September.

Group 4 results and table

U21 Qualifying round
06 September 2011 16:30 (local time) - Gradski - Uzice

Faroe Islands lead against Serbia for
10 minutes, but lose 5-1 in the end

Serbia - Faroe Islands 5-1 (4-1)
0-1 Róaldur Jakobsen '7
1-1 Nemanja Kojic '15
2-1 Matija Nastasic '18
3-1 Lazovic '26
4-1 Luka Milunovic '39
5-1 Darko Lazovic '81

Faroe Islands got off to a perfect start against Serbia when Róaldur Jakobsen scored directly from the free kick after 6 minutes.

However, the lead was short-lived as Serbia 12 minutes later not only had equalized, but also taken the lead – both times with a header; the second goal coming from a corner.

The Faroese team struggled in the Balkan heat and before half-time Serbia had doubled their tally; the third after 26 minutes and the fourth after 39 minutes.

The home team was still the much better team in the second half, although they had taken their foot off the gas somewhat and showed some mercy with casual finishing. – For example when Milunović was completely clear on 66 minutes but missed the goal from close range when it looked easier to score.

But with 10 minutes remaining of normal time, Lazović showed no mercy when he made it 5-1 to Serbia with his second goal of the match to take them to the top of the group with 6 points from 2 matches. The Faroes are second from bottom, a point ahead of FYR of Macedonia who still haven't played.

Group 4 results and table

U21 Qualifying round
07 October 2011 18:00 (local time) - Aalborg Stadion - Aalborg

Denmark score twice in three minutes and win 4-0 after bright Faroese start

Denmark - Faroe Islands 4-0 (2-0)
1-0 Rasmus Falk '15
2-0 Mads Albæk '17
3-0 Nicklas Helenius '60
4-0 Emil Larsen '69

After a very bright start from the Faroese team with several attempts on goal inside the first quarter of an hour, Denmark scored twice in the space of three minutes to virtually put the game beyond doubt.

The Faroe Islands threatened after 5 minutes when Jóan Símun Edmundsson released Gilli Sørensen with a superb through-ball, but from the angle and distance, the shot lacked power to trouble Danish goalkeeper Kristian Fæste.

Denmark then should have taken the lead three minutes later following a corner, but with the goal at his mercy, the Dane blasted the ball well over the crossbar from close range.

On 12 minutes the Faroe Islands made another superb move when Róaldur Jakobsen released Sørensen down the right and from an acute angle, Sørensen forced the goalkeeper to divert the ball around the near post for a corner.

Moments later Heini Vatnsdal had powerful effort from long range which was straight on the goalkeeper, however.

And the minute after Edmundsson so nearly played Sørensen clear, but the Danish defender intercepted at the last moment.

Maybe the Faroese team got overconfident after this bright start and forgot their defensive obligations, because four minutes later Denmark had scored twice!

In the 15th minute Denmark countered through Andreas Laudrup who played Rasmus Falk clear a bit to the right in the penalty area to finish clinically to grab the opening goal.

Two minutes later Laudrup did the damage again as he with sharp dribbles on the right got past the defenders to make the cross that was laid back for Mads Albæk to hammer in just inside the post for a 2-0 lead.

In the last 15 minutes of the first half, the Faroese team had quite a few decent opportunities from corners and free kick in gifted positions.

But Denmark should have increased their lead early in the second half as they had three fine scoring opportunities; the best when a Dane turned at close range but shot right on the legs of goalkeeper Gestsson.

Instead the Faroe Islands were handed a lifeline after 52 minutes when they were awarded a penalty for handball. – A harsh decision by the referee, it must be said. Joan Símun Edmundsson of Newcastle United was chosen as executer, but penalties isn’t something they have trained a lot in England, it appeared, as the goalkeeper guessed right and dived to his left to save the poor penalty.

This was the second penalty the Faroese team has missed in this campaign as they also missed a last minute penalty in their 0-0 draw in the opener against Northern Ireland.

Generally penalties are a problem for the Faroes as also the senior team has missed many of them. And in the Faroese league 25% of all penalties have been missed this season. That’s actually an improvement as that tally has been well up in the 30’ies in recent years.

Anyway, back to today’s match :-)

Instead of the Faroe Islands getting back into the game, Denmark increased their lead to 3-0 on the hour-mark when Nicklas Helenius dribbled past the left back to get to the by-line where he cut inside and with another sharp dribble got past the central defender to curl the ball into the far top corner. Great skills from the Dane, but very slack defending.

Within 10 minutes Denmark had netted once again to make it 4-0 after a cross from the right to the far post for Emil Larsen to tap-in.

The Faroese team looked tired and uninspired for a while, and further goal from Denmark looked to be the cards, but as the game went underway, the team recovered and on 78 minutes Gilli Sørensen stretched the Danish goalkeeper with a shot from outside the penalty area.

Denmark went close with a header in added time, but Gestsson in the Faroese goal got his fingertips on the ball to deny the Danes their 5th goal.

Faroe Islands' next match is on 11 November away to Macedonia who earlier today managed a 1-1 draw with group leaders Serbia, who have 7 points for 3 matches.

Denmark have 6 points for 2 matches.

Group 4 results and table

U21 Qualifying round
11 November 2011 13:00 (local time) - Boris Trajkovski - Skopje

Faroe Islands narrowly defeated
by FYR Macedonia

FYR Macedonia – Faroe Islands 1-0 (1-0)
1-0 Samir Fazli '41

"The operation was a success, but the patient died", could be a fitting description from a Faroese perspective after a narrow 1-0 defeat by Macedonia today.

The Faroe Islands were in attacking mode from the start and created several good scoring opportunities in the early stages, where Gilli Sørensen's effort went wide and where Macedonian goalkeeper Filip Gacevski denied Dánjal á Lakjuni.

Macedonia eventually worked their way into the game and went close twice before they took the lead four minutes before halftime with a header from striker Samir Fazli at the far post after a cross from the left.

In the second half, Macedonia squandered a golden opportunity before goalscorer Fazli was sent off for a second bookable offence with a quarter of an hour remaining.

The Faroes then poured on the pressure and created several scoring opportunities, and some of them sitters, but they were wasted, and goalkeeper Gacevski saved from Viljormur Davidsen and Jan Ellingsgaard to secure Macedona their first victory in 11 competitive matches.

The Faroe Islands have three matches left in the group; all of them at home and surely the Faroes will fancy their chances against Macedonia at home. The other two matches are against the frontrunners Serbia and Denmark. The matches are scheduled for the summer of 2012.

Group 4 results and table

U21 Qualifying round
01 June 2012 19:00 (local time) - Gundadalur Stadium - Tórshavn

Faroe Islands draw with FYR Macedonia

Faroe Islands - FYR Macedonia 1-1 (0-0)
1-0 Owngoal
1-1 Ilija Nestorovski

Little happened during the very even first half which produced few scoring opportunities – a shot wide for each team was about it.

The second half continued with a similar pattern, but suddenly the Faroes had taken the lead out of nothing in the 54th minute with a bizarre owngoal when the Macedonian goalkeeper slipped when he was about to clear a back-pass from Kirce Ristevski with the result that the ball rolled every so slowly straight into the goal. It’s bound to become a Youtube-sensation!

But this changed the course of the game where Macedonia now piled on the pressure. However, Macedonia still found it difficult to create clear-cut scoring opportunities, but sooner or later the pressure was going to lead to a real scoring opportunity, and in the 74th minute a well worked move played Ilija Nestorovski - who had come on less than five minutes earlier - clear in the penalty area to finish past a helpless Kristian Joensen in the Faroese goal.

After the goal the Macedonian pressure eased again and the Faroes could have snatched the win with 10 minutes remaining of normal time when Høgni Eysturoy played Hallur Hansson clear in the penalty area with a fine through-ball, but Hanson’s finish was straight on Macedonian goalkeeper Filip Gacevski.

A couple of minutes later, defender Rógvi Holm was close with a header after a long throw-in, but the attempt went into the side-netting.

In the closing stages Macedonia had a good opportunity to clinch the win when they had a clear sight of goal inside the penalty area, but the shot went well over the goal.

All in all, 1-1 looked about right for the final result.

On Tuesday the Faroe Islands take on group leaders Serbia.

Group 4 results and table

U21 Qualifying round
05 June 2012 19:00 (local time) - Gundadalur Stadium - Tórshavn

Faroe Islands beaten 2-0 by efficient Serbs

Faroe Islands - Serbia 0-2 (0-1)
0-1 Filip Malbašic
0-2 Nemanja Gudelj

The Faroe Islands were just centimetres from equalizing Serbia’s lead on the hour-mark, but Rógvi Holm’s effort smashed off the crossbar and instead Serbia doubled their lead with a penalty six minutes later.

After Serbia had threatened in the opening 10 minutes, where Kristian Joensen made an excellent save from Luka Milivojević’s shot from an acute angle and Ognjen Mudrinski volleyed just wide, the pressure wore off and the Faroese team seemed to be pretty much in control of the situation.

The Faroes rarely threatened at the other end, but in the one case René Joensen and Dánjal av Lakjuni combined well on the right to get a cross over to Hallur Hansson who was in a good position to shoot inside the penalty area, but he lacked time and failed to properly connect with the ball and fired a tame shot wide of the post.

But just as Serbia looked to be least dangerous, they took the lead almost out of nothing with very effective attacking play where a simple pass from the centre and forward to the right hand side of the penalty area and then in front of goal for Filip Malbašić to made an easy tap-in.

Serbia then threatened to increase the lead, but Joensen in the Faroese goal made a couple of crucial saves to keep the difference at the single goal.

The circumstances for a Faroese equalized were made much better when Serbia had Milivojević sent off for a second bookable offence just before the half-time whistle.

However, there wasn’t much that suggested that the Faroese team had a man in advantage during the second half as they weren’t capable to put any real pressure on Serbia who on the other hand managed to create much more going forward with few men.

However, Serbia could count themselves lucky when they saw Rógvi Holm’s effort being saved by the crossbar after a corner.

Instead it was Serbia who were awarded a penalty six minutes later when Holm made a clumsy and unnecessary challenge on goalscorer Filip Malbašić. Nemanja Gudelj safely converted from the penalty spot.

That effectively decided the match and the Faroe Islands never really managed to create anything upfront in the last 25 minutes.

Group 4 results and table

U21 Qualifying round
15 August 2012 19:00 (local time) - Gundadalur Stadium - Tórshavn

Faroe Islands stun Denmark
with late equalizer

Faroe Islands - Denmark 1-1 (0-1)
42' 0-1 Simon Makienok
87' 1-1 Róaldur Jakobsen

Denmark would have regained the lead in the group with a victory, but an 87th minute equalizer from Róaldur Jakobsen stunned the Danes, and in fact, Denmark were close to conceding once again, although also Denmark were close to snatching the winner in added time.

The Faroe Islands had started the match brightly and after 5 minutes Gilli Sørensen was close to giving the Faroes the lead, but the Danish goalkeeper Frederik Rønnow made a fine save.

Denmark then took over completely and were unlucky not to take the lead after 10 minutes when they hit the post. The Faroes were under immense pressure for about 10 minutes, but after the first quarter of an hour, the pressure eased for a while and Róaldur Jakobsen had a decent shot fro long range that went over.

In the last 15 minutes of the first half the pressure on the Faroese goal increased again, and one shot went across the face of goal while another attempt was saved on the line.

With five minutes remaining of the half, Denmark looked certain to score as goalkeeper Hans Jørgensen had been rounded, but the glorious opportunity in front of the empty goal was squandered as a defender managed to make a crucial tackle to deny the Dane.

However, it was only delaying the pain a Denmark scored from the following corner. The initial header from Simon Makienok was saved of the line, but Makienok then headed home from the rebound.

Denmark were in full control from the start of the second half and were only denied from pulling further ahead by a diving save from Jørgensen who tipped a shot from the edge of the penalty area over the crossbar, and later he made another fine save from Andreas Laudrup who tried from an acute angle.

In the last 15 minutes of the game the Faroes started to threaten at the other end and Páll Klettskarð got clear with the goalkeeper who made a great save.

The Faroes sensed that an equalizer was possible and continued to get forward, and with less than three minutes of normal time remaining, the ball fell to Róaldur Jakobsen who coolly placed the ball into the back of the net from just within the penalty area for a sensational equalizer.

Denmark then pressed forward in quest for a winner, but in fact, the Faroes had another fine opportunity to snatch the victory in added time. But so could Denmark after midfielder Karl Løkin had been sent off for a second bookable offense, and the following free kick into the penalty area went just centimetres wide of the post.


This was the Faroe Islands' last match of the campaign in which they earned 3 points, compared to the incredible 11 points in the previous campaign, but which contained six teams compared to only five teams this time. - And four opponents that in general were stronger than in the previous campaign.

The Faroes will rue the last minute missed penalty against Northern Ireland in the campaign opener, but will cherish the draw against Denmark in their closing match. All in all, it will be considered as yet another successful campaign by the Faroese U21 team.

Group 4 results and table

| Faroese Football |
| Home of Soccer and Equipment |

Share this page: